Marinette-Chapter 23

The day after Adrien's earth shattering kiss, Marinette just floated around on a cloud. She almost couldn't believe that it had really happened. She could still feel the warm pressure of his lips, as distinctly as she had felt it when they had been sharing that kiss. His lips had been even more intoxicating than the eggnog, making her feel light headed and giddy. It had been wonderful, and she hoped there would be more kisses to come.

"You're in a good mood today," Tikki said slyly, perching herself on Marinette's shoulder. "What's gotten into you?"

Marinette smiled, scratching her kwami's belly. "Nothing. Nothing at all. It's just a good day."

"That goofy smile on your face wouldn't have anything to do with you kissing Adrien under the mistletoe last night, would it?" Tikki asked shrewdly, a smile flickering across her face.

"Maybe," Marinette laughed happily. "Oh, Tikki! It was so romantic!"

Smiling proudly, Tikki replied, "I knew it would be! All you two needed was a little nudge."

"Waaaait," Marinette raised her eyebrows at Tikki who hopped into her hand. "You didn't have anything to do with this, did you?"

Tikki shrugged. "I may or may not have encouraged Adrien's kwami to take that mistletoe and hold it over your heads last night. He thought it was hilarious."

Giggling, Marinette set Tikki down on her pillow before sitting down at her desk. "I can't believe it. After all this time, Adrien and I are finally together. I think I might be ready to tell him that I'm Ladybug."

But to her surprise, instead of smiling, Tikki frowned. "Marinette, I don't think that's a good idea."

"What?" Marinette blinked. "Why? You were encouraging me to tell him a few days ago."

"Think about it," her kwami replied. "Everyone knows that Chat Noir likes Ladybug. Alyssa might try to use you against him. If he knew the truth, you both would be in more danger. It's better to keep your identity a secret for now."

Marinette felt herself reeling as she tried to process what Tikki had said. She was right. Adrien was already in more danger because she knew his secret. What if Hawk Moth tortured Chat Noir's secret out of her?

"Oh, Tikki," she said sadly, slumping in her chair and drawing her knees to her chest. "What am I going to do?"

Tikki zoomed over and put a small red paw on Marinette's hand. "Don't worry, Marinette. We'll think of something."

Marinette groaned. How had this gotten so complicated? She loved Adrien, she always had. But if she was going to protect him, he would have to get hurt one more time.

***

That night, Marinette visited Adrien as Ladybug to talk to him about the situation they were in. She had formulated a plan, but she didn't like it any more than Adrien would when he heard it.

Swinging herself toward the apartment building, she landed lightly on Adrien's balcony and tapped on the door.

"Hey, m'lady," Adrien flashed her one of his signature Chat Noir grins as he let her in. Marinette smiled in return. Even though he looked exhausted, he was still her partner.

"How was your day?" Marinette asked, her stomach pinching painfully as he sat down cross-legged on the bed. She stood awkwardly by the window, trying to find the best words to say what she had come to say.

"I'm fantastic now that I'm with you," he teased, his green eyes twinkling with humor. "You know, if you keep coming to see me, I might start to think you like me after all."