Marinette-Chapter 29

Marinette felt deliciously warm as she drifted up through the haze of sleep that clouded her mind. She'd had such a wonderful dream last night where Adrien knew she was Ladybug and he had been completely overjoyed. She couldn't stop the smile spreading across her lips. It had been a really good dream.

Suddenly, she felt something light as a butterfly's wing brush her lips. Once. Twice. Three times. Opening her eyes, she found herself gazing back into a pair of smiling green ones. She hastily scrambled backward, not fully comprehending what had just happened until she fell with a thump off the edge of the couch. Above her, she heard a rich, deep laugh.

"Oh man! I'm sorry, but that was hilarious!"

Marinette's cheeks flamed as she peeked up at Adrien over the side of the couch. Why did she always have to be such a spaz? And why did her head have to ache so much?

"Umm, morning," she said sheepishly. Adrien chuckled, helping her up beside him.

"How did you sleep, bugaboo?"

Bugaboo? Adrien only called Ladybug that... What was going on? She tried to shake the fog from her brain, remembering her dream from last night. Had that been real?

"Oh...my head hurts," she mumbled. "Was this what you felt like after you got poisoned?"

Adrien nodded, rubbing her back. "It wears off after a while. Can I get you some tea? That helped me."

"Yeah," Marinette mumbled, massaging her head. "Thanks."

As he stood up to go to the kitchen, Marinette reached out and grabbed his hand. She had to know. She had to know if last night was real or not.

"Adrien, did I tell you something last night?"

"You mean that you're Ladybug?" Adrien chuckled. "It's okay, I was a little out of it for the first day or so too."

Marinette breathed a sigh. So it was real. She looked down at her hands clasped in her lap, not wanting to see his reaction.

"And are...are you upset knowing that it's me? That I'm Ladybug?"

Adrien reached out and took both her hands in his, brushing his lips across her knuckles. "Why would I be upset, knowing that you're my lady?"

Pulling her gently to her feet, Adrien kissed her slowly, sweetly, making Marinette's knees feel like they were about to give way. There were no more secrets between them. It was wonderful, like they had always been made for each other.

"Mmm, that was nice," Marinette murmured against his chest, scooting closer to him, seeking his warmth and steadiness.

Adrien traced his hand up her spine then trailed it over her right shoulder, tracing her collarbone lightly, and finally curved around the side of her face. He tilted her chin up until their noses touched.

"This is nice," he whispered, giving her a gentle kiss. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he held her tight against his chest. She wrapped her arms tighter around his neck, holding him closer still.

"Yeah," she whispered against his lips. "This is nice too."

This felt so right. Comfortable, familiar...but also electric and new. The rightness of the rhythm of their hearts beating together as one, the feel of Adrien's arms around her.

"Marinette, I brought you my..." Master Fu trailed off as he opened the door and caught them kissing. A knowing smile played across his lips as he set a steaming cup of tea down on the coffee table. "My favorite tea. This is the best cure when you have been unwell."

Marinette's cheeks flamed with embarrassment, but Adrien seemed to take it all in stride.

"Thank you, Master," Adrien grinned, sliding his hand down Marinette's arm to lace his fingers with hers. "I'll make sure she drinks it."

Master Fu smiled and nodded, turning to leave. Pausing in the doorway, he turned and said over his shoulder. "Like I said, you two were made for each other."

Marinette sat down on the edge of the couch, taking a sip of tea to hide her pink cheeks. With each sip, she began to feel better and better until the pounding in her head was a distant memory.

"What are we going to do about Alyssa?" she asked, looking up only when she was certain all traces of embarrassment had left her face. Adrien's own face had grown serious and he scratched at a day's worth of stubble on his jaw.

"Well, if we're going to even have a hope of defeating her, we have to destroy the amulet. Or take her Miraculous."

Marinette nodded, "Which we can't get to because of the poisonous butterflies."

"Maybe we can..." Adrien pressed his lips together in thought. "After all, I have the sneakiest kwami of them all."

A smile spread across Marinette's face for what felt like the first time in days. "I have to say, Adrien—I have one smart kitty for a partner."

"You definitely do," Adrien elbowed her teasingly. "And I'm feline pretty lucky."

Laughing, Marinette rolled her eyes good naturedly. "We're seriously going to have to work on your jokes. Where is Plagg anyway?"

Holding up a finger, Adrien pulled a piece of cheese out of his backpack and waved it in front of his jacket pocket. Like a bolt of black lighting, Plagg shot out and latched onto the cheese in Adrien's hand.

"Plagg, we have an assignment for you," Adrien began, but he was cut off by a streak of red zooming over and barrelling into Plagg.

"Tikki, get off," he grumbled as Marinette's kwami gave Plagg a bear hug. Tikki ignored him, snuggling closer.

"It's been so long since I've seen you!" Tikki exclaimed. "Well, sober anyway. What did you drink that night?"

Plagg rolled his eyes, stuffing the last of the cheese into his mouth. "Marinette's uncle makes good eggnog."

"Guys, this is a very sweet reunion and all," Marinette interrupted. "But we need to talk to you about our plan to defeat Alyssa."

Glancing up at her with his lamp-like green eyes, Plagg said, "Cheese first. Then we can talk."