Hope vs Despair

Decans thought about his earlier encounter with Error. Fresh had been sticking by his side, but he couldn't stop the murderous glares that Error shot him. Error surely wouldn't go so far as to hurt him right? Because Decans only had one life, and he was not ready to lose it.
     "--And the last two pairings are Decans and Error, and Fresh and Sugar." A shiver ran down Decans' spine. "Oh sorry, read that wrong, silly me." Decans breathed a sigh of relief. "Actually, Paperjam? You are with Sugar. Fresh you'll be okay by yourself." Oh jeez. Fresh didn't waste any time. He looked at Decans, his eyes full of worry. Fresh was like an open book now that his shades were broken.
     "Deccy Dec you be all up careful, okay?" Fresh warned.

     Decans nodded, responding, "Don't worry, nothing's going to happen."

     Fresh growled, his lingo leaving his speech for a moment. "But how can you be sure?"

     Decans didn't reply for a second. "J-Just... Trust me."

     "I usually can... But broski– this isn't something I'm willing to play with." Fresh sighed. He tugs lightly on Decans' hand. "C'mon, maybe we can still ask the teach ta switch up the all up partners–"

     "Fresh!" Fresh jumped, Decans had never seen him so worried before. "I... I'm scared too. No– I'm terrified. But this is something me and Error need to work out." Fresh didn't want to listen.

     "B-But if he hurts you--"

     "The projects start tomorrow. I'll see you then." Decans turned away from Fresh and began to walk home.
     "Deccy wait! Don't..." Fresh trailed off. He had already gone around the corner.
-
-
-
     "Okay, everyone! There has been a slight change of partnership. Decans, you'll be with Fresh and Error, you'll be with Sugar and Paperjam." Decans squinted. He looked to Fresh, but Fresh didn't meet his eye.
     The rest of the day was tense. Anytime Fresh tried to strike up a conversation, he would either get snippy remarks or the silent treatment. By lunch time, everyone had begun to pick up on the tension between Decans and Fresh. They were usually stuck to each other like glue, but they were off today. And at that same time, Fresh decided he'd better say something. 

     "D-Deccy Dec, I'm sorry okay? I know you all up and swiggity said you'd had it covered, but... I think you're the bomb diggity, brotato chip. I-I don't want you to get hurt."

     "L-Listen. Fresh, I feel the same way about you."

     Fresh perked up. "T-Then you all up and understand why--"

     "But I'd think you'd respect my wishes if you really liked me." Decans got up and left without another word, letting his harsh words sink in. Sugar and Paperjam, who happened to be sitting across the table both looked at each other. Paperjam wolfed down the rest of his food and stood up with his tray.
     "Well, I think I'm going to brainstorm for my project. Wanna join me Sugar?" Paperjam used his head to gesture towards the door Decans exited out of. 
     Sugar blinked as if he had just noticed the situation. He hastily got up and frowned. "Y-Yeah, I'm coming." Sugar hesitated, wondering if he should really leave Fresh all alone, but he didn't have much of a choice when Paperjam pulled him out the doors. 

.

.

.

     "Well, would you look at that! Mr. Goody-Two-Shoes skipping school! This is what you call a once in a lifetime experience." Paperjam whispered. Sugar glared at him, and Paperjam quickly quieted. 
     "Shorry Jammy, we have to keep a closhe eye on Decansh." Sugar sighed.
     Paperjam looked confused. He cocked his head and asked, "Why?"
     "Becaushe of the fact that my two besht friendsh' friendship ish collapshing, Jammy. The ship is shinking." Sugar mumbled, getting a bit louder.
     Paperjam took a deep breath. "W-What does that have to do with us?"
     He shrunk back in fear as a twisted smile made its way up Sugar's face. "We've got the life jacketsh.
     Paperjam looked away from his friend. "So what do we do?" 
     Sugar looked back in the direction Decans was going. "Well, we can't let Decansh out of our-" Sugar popped out of the bushes. "Where did he go?!"