Chapter Five

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I brush my shimmer eyeshadow over my eyelids, as I sit at my vanity. I add a darker color in the crease and begin blending it in.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You look so pretty." Annie says sitting on my bed facing me, with a huge grin. As mad as at her as I any have been these past there months, she's still one of my best friends.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Thank you." I reply opening up my mascara, and getting some of the black liquid onto the brush. I begin bringing it up to my eye lashes.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"She was talking to me Kenz, don't be so self centered geez." Johnny chimes from the other side of my room, making me roll my eyes. He's in an oddly chipper mood today considering the circumstances.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Whatever." I sigh with a laugh as I apply my mascara to each eye as evenly as possible.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I wasn't talking to you John." Annie answers with a giggle. Brynn was going to help me get ready for my date, it was supposed to be Annie, Brynn and I, but she couldn't make it and Johnny just showed up earlier.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah, but I know you think I'm hot, everyone does." Johnny says simply causing both Annie and I to burst out into laughter. I put my mascara down as the giggles consume me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Who's the self centered one now?" I ask in between chuckling, and Johnny just smirks with a wink that makes me laugh even more. Most girls at my school would be flirting with him when he said that, but it's completely different with us. It's not like I haven't noticed my best friend is very hot, it's just the that our relationship is platonic, I wouldn't ever say it to him cause it'd be weird.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Brandon is hotter than you." I joke as open up my liquid lipstick. Out of the corner of my eye I see Johnny smirk.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Liar." He winks still smirking and Annie and I both look at each other with wide eyes, the type of look Brynn and I usually exchange when something weird happens.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Actually Hayden is hotter than you and Brandon so..." Annie laughs, but suddenly I go silent. Hayden is still a touchy subject for me, especially after all that happened the past couple months.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I grab my necklace nervously trying not let my sadness break through. I hear Johnny answer her but I don't really listen I just stare straight ahead. It's weird how much a stupid boy can impact your life, and your thoughts...I hate it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Earth to Kenzie." Annie says waving her hand in front of my face. My eyes immediately snap up to her, noticing both her and Johnny are starting at me weirdly.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Huh?"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I asked you what time Brandon would be here." Annie explains still looking at me oddly, considering I just suddenly zoned out, something I tend to do a lot when something is bothering me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Eight." I answer and she nods, as I grab my curling iron out of my drawer and continue getting ready.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀-----------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Are you done yet?" Johnny asks whining like a baby from outside of my door. I had to get changed so obviously I had to kick him out, he's extremely impatient. Annie had to leave a little bit ago to meet Hayden, so it ended up just being me and him.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Can you stop?" I ask with a hint of annoyance in my voice as I look at my outfit in my mirror. I have on a red tank top, crop top with ripped jeans and high heel boots. For once I feel kind of pretty, it won't last long but it's nice actually feeling semi confident for once in my life.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'll stop when you're done, duh." Johnny says annoyed as I begin to walk towards my door.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well then you can stop." I chime as I open up my door. Johnny turns around to look at me as I move slightly to the side so he can come back in.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As soon as he turns around he looks at me, and his eyes widen. I notice his eyes travel to my face, and at what I was wearing...he has a look on his face I've never seen.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?" I ask annoyed and curious at the same time because he isn't saying anything or even coming in like he had been bugging me about.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nothing." Johnny answers as if snapped back into reality and walks past me, as I look at him strangely as he walks away. Well that was weird.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay..." I say skeptically.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well, uh I need to get home. Have fun...well not too much fun." Johnny jokes quickly snapping back to his usual behavior. My jaw drops at his words.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Johnny!" I exclaim and he just laughs as he grabs his phone from off of my desk. He begins walking back to the towards the exit as I just stand near the doorway.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Im serious though, have fun, but be careful. I don't like Brandon, there's something weird about him." Johnny tells me as I follow him out of my room. I close the door behind us.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I will, but he doesn't seem that bad John." I explain as we near the stairs. He looks at me out of the corner of his eye as he shrugs.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're probably right." He answers in the same tone he has used when he first saw me. He sounded distant, something I'm not used to hearing from him.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Are you okay?" I question as we near the end of the steps. As my feet hit the floor, Johnny turns around to face me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm fine." He reassures me and I nod, but I'm not very convinced. I don't know what's wrong but it's just not like him to not tell me something.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay. Well I'll text you when I get home." I smile and Johnny nods with a smile, that doesn't seem very genuine.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay, ill talk to later..." Johnny says as he turns around to walk to the front door, until he suddenly stops and turns back around. "Oh and Kenz?"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah?"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Annie was right, you look really pretty." Johnny smiles as he walks out of the front door, before I can say anything. That was...well odd. It's not like it's weird for us to compliment each other, we're best friends, but it just doesn't happen often.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀