Chapter Twenty

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Everything feels like it's going in slow motion. The air I breath it feels sharp, and every step I take is more shaky than the last. I drop the phone down onto the table.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The resptionist kept me on the phone too long, because enough time passed by for the me to be able to the flashing lights of cop cars rushing down the street.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mom, I'll be back." I call through the house nervously. I walk to the door, every step blurring together as the door comes into focus.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It's weird how seeing someone you care about hurt, makes you feel. It's like someone hurt you too, because that's what you would rather happen than see them that way.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I pull the front door open, my arms shaking lightly as the large structure swings open. The rain is coming down hard outside, the kind that what usually send me running in the opposite direction, but not now.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I step out onto the wet porch that's outside of my house, as soon as I'm out I can see Johnny again. He's still sitting on the ground, he doesn't seem very hurt he just seems defeated.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀His dad is focused on the cops who are pulling his hand behind his back to handcuff him. At that sight some relief rushes through me.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I behind to jog down the steps, running my hand down the railing so I didn't trip because they are slippery. I look up at Johnny and suddenly his eyes meet mine.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I don't break the eye contact as I begin running across my grass, as he looks at me though it's seems as though everything clicks. I'm assuming he realized I was the one who called.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I cross over to the other yard, and at this point I'm only a few feet from Johnny. He tries to stand up, but it seems like he might have hurt his leg, by the way he winced when he tried to use it.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I walk faster and before I know it I'm right in front of him. I reach my hand out immediately to help him up, and he grabs it without hesitation.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I help him pull himself up, as he stumbles back onto his feet. As he steadies himself, I look up at him, still holding his hand for support.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He doesn't have much blood on his face because of the rain that has us both drenched at this point, it seems as though we've been swimming. There is a little speck of red liquid right near his eyebrow though, and I reach my other hand up and wipe it off so there's none.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Thank you." Johnny says nervously as he glances over at the cop cars. Without answering, I stand on my tippy toes and wrap my arms around his neck.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm just glad you're okay." I whisper, as his arms go around my waist tightly. The way he holds onto me feels like if he lets go the whole world will come crashing down, more like it's the only thing keeping him from crashing down I guess.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I pull him a little tighter trying hard not to hurt him, and luckily I don't. I burry my head in his shoulder, and to be honest I don't feel like ever letting go.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Seeing the person that knows me better than anyone else, has been there for me since we were only children and has always stuck by my side hurt just crushed me.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm sorry Kenzie." Johnny whispers, and I know he's talking about our fight. I sigh lightly is he really that much of a selfless person that even now he's thinking about my feelings?

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It's okay John, don't worry about it." I whisper as we both begin to pull away. Our arms are still in place our faces, and chests are just parted.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I stare up into Johnny's perfect green eyes, as he stares into mine. For a second it's like everyone else fades away, and it's just us two. I know people always talk about that feeling, but I never thought it was true until this second.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There seems to be this pulling feeling between the two of us, and it makes me get butterflies. Johnny takes one of his hands off my of hip, and pushes a strand of my soaked hair behind my ear.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then suddenly we both seem to lean forward, and I don't even really know what's happening, until our lips connect, and my eyes flutter shut.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The kiss feels so different from when I kissed Brandon or even Hayden. It feels real, if that makes sense. Our lips move in sync, and for some reason an image of twelve year old me kissing Johnny pops into my head. That girl would have probably been disgusted by actually kissing her best friend, but now it feels like the most right thing in the world.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We both slowly pull away rain drops dripping down our face. Johnny smiles weakly at me, and I return the gesture.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You don't know how long I've wanted to do that." He whispers making butterflies fill up in my stomach again. I bite the inside of my lip, never wanting to break eye contact with Johnny.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mr. Orlando we need to ask you a few questions." An officer calls to Johnny causing us both to look the other way. I almost forgot they were even here.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'll be right back." He tells me walking over to them, as I watch him walk away. What a weird and epic day this has been.