Chapter Ten

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Kenzie, wait up." I hear a voice call from behind me. It's almost time for first period so I'm kind of hurrying, but I stop in my tracks, turning around.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, hi." I say kind of uncomfortable as Brandon tries hard to catch up to me. He smiles at me, flashing his perfect teeth.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Hey, I know your probably in a hurry but can I talk to you real fast?" He asks with a hopeful grin. I glance over at the clock that stands in the middle of the hallway. Almost everyone is already in class, and if I wait any longer I will most defiantly be late.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Uh...okay." I answer. I'm rarely late to class or skip so if I do it once it's not such a big deal.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Come here." Brandon says with a boyish grin. He reaches his hand out and grabes mine to lead me to wherever we're going.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I follow behind him willingly, but I don't like holding his hand. It's feels uncomfortable for the most part.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀---------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Its been about five minutes and suddenly were walking through the doors that lead out onto the schools field. It's basically a huge pice of land with just grass for what seems like miles. If you go straight across though there is an extremely beautiful lake, we aren't allowed to go near.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Except, that's seems to be where Brandon is leading me. I don't mind, it's one of the prettiest sceneries you'll find at this school.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Are we going to the lake?" I ask loudly since there seems to be a bit of wind today, muffling my voice. Brandon slightly tightens his grip on my hand and smiles.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Maybe." He smirks, as he continues to lead me that way. As annoying as he is, it's kind of cute that he's bringing me there. I've always thought it was a pretty romantic place.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Suddenly were only a few feet from our destination and Brandon stops in his tracks. He slowly turn around to face me, and for some reason a smile pops onto my face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I know our first date wasn't the best...I should have realized how annoying I was but--"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?" I quickly ask. I only told a few people how awful our date was, people I trust a lot.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, well Nadia said that she heard from your friend Annie that you didn't have the greatest time." He tells me kind of nervously. I can't believe she blabbed her mouth to Nadia about that.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh...I'm uh--"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Its okay Kenz, your right it could have been better, so I want to make it up to you." Brandon's says and I find myself smiling. People who can except their mistakes, are the type of people that I want to be around.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Brandon intertwine are fingers, as we both begin walking towards the lake. I still feel a bit uncomfortable holding his hand, but I don't object.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As we get close to the shore of the lake, there's a small patch of sand. Written out huge in a pebbles is the word, 'HOMECOMING?'.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh my gosh." I breath smiling down at the ground. It's actually a pretty creative way to ask me, especially considering how much I love this place.  The water is so still, and there's trees all around it, it's just so calm.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"So, do you want to go with me?" Brandon asks nervously. I peel my eyes away from the ground to look up at him.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes." I say, maybe Brandon isn't as awful as I assumed.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀-------------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Kenzie can you change the song?" Johnny whines. We're sitting in my basement listening to music on my speaker, and he seems to have a problem with every song. He's sitting on one side of my couch, and I'm sitting on the other.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No, it's my favorite." I say sticking my tongue out at him like I'm five years old. He chuckles, and shakes his head at me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well I don't like it." He shrugs laughing, causing me to smile. Johnny has one of those laughs that's super contagious.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You don't like Camila Cabello?" I ask with a pretend shackled face. I know her songs aren't his favorite genre but I love almost all of her songs.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I don't like her music." He says, and while he thinks I'm not looking he reaches his hand out to grab my phone. I stick my hand out quicker and grab it pulling it close to me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny narrows his eyes at me jokingly, and moves closer. I giggle as he reaches over me and try's to grab my phone that I quickly put over my head.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He stretches his arm over me to try and grab it, which means he has to reach over me. Suddenly he grabs my arm, and turns his face towards me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I didn't realize how close we had gotten, but his face is so close to mine I can feel his breath. He slowly pulls my arm down to get the phone and for some reason I let him.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Neither of us take our eyes off of each other, and I don't want to either. His green eyes are mesmerizing as he stares into mine. I can feel my heart beating faster, as Johnny has to grab my hand to get my phone.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Why am I feeling like this? For goodness sakes he's my best friend, so then why do my eyes keep flickering down to his lips?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Slowly Johnny leans closer to me and goes past my face to my ear. At this point I think my face looks like a tomato, and I have a million butterflies in my stomach.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Now I can put on songs you hate." Johnny whispers in my ear, as he moves away, letting my mind go back to normal. He laughs as he sits back down, but I still feel very shaken up. Why did I just feel that way about Johnny? We've been best friends our whole life, that's all. I can't feel anything but friendly feelings for him...right?