Chapter Thirteen

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Walking through the doors that lead to the school gymnasium, makes me stomach churn. There's more kids in here than there ever are, and the music is so loud I just want to cover my ears.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always go to dances, but saying I necessarily 'like' them is incorrect. I like hanging with my friends, they just always seem to me like a competition for popularity. Theres also the fact that you can barely even walk around, because all of the people.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I glance over at Brandon, whose arm is linked with mine. I have the urge to pull my own arm away, but I don't. Annie and Hayden have already dispersed into the crowd, as well as Lauren and Thomas. Brynn and Lucas are right next to us though, which gives me a bit of comfort.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Kenz, were going to go find Annie, I'll see you in a little bit." Brynn says loudly over the music, but I can still barely hear her. I just nod, as he and Lucas walk away, leaving it to be just Brandon and I.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Do you want to dance?" Brandon asks, causing me to turn my head back towards him. I force a smile onto my face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Sure." I say pretty loud so he can hear. Brandon's pull his arm away from mine, and instead grabs my hand softly. I still don't like him holding my hand, but I don't object.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He guides me out onto the dance floor, as I glance around trying to see if I see anyone I know, but I don't. I follow him as I have to squeeze past a thousand people.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Soon enough Brandon stops in his tracks, causing me to almost trip. I curse lightly under my breath as I regain my balance.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Sorry." He mumbles just loud enough for me to hear. He keeps walking and I follow once again trying my best to keep up, because heels are very hard to walk in.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I randomly bump into someone and I have to whisper a quick apology because Brandon doesn't stop walking. I can't help but think I'd rather be here with just about anyone else.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay here we go." Brandon stops, and this time I have enough time to slow down so I don't almost trip. He turns around and faces me with a smile.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I try to smile too, but I don't think I'm doing too well. Brandon walks closer to me, and it just so happens a slow song is on, so I reluctantly wrap my arms around his neck.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀His hands go to my hips, and I just feel like smacking his hands off of me. Not to mention the song that's playing is 'Say You Won't Let Go', which so does not apply to my situation.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀--------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I lean against the wall with Brynn right next to me. Brandon disappeared into the crowd with some random girl claiming it was his 'friend'.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He said that he'd be right back but I honestly don't care. I saw the way she grabbed him and the devilish smiles on both of their faces, but it didn't really bother me. I'm not his girlfriend, and I don't even feel that way about him, so why should I care what he does.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"He's such a jerk." Brynn says. Lucas is talking to a boy named Holden, so it gave me some time to talk to her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"True, but I'm pretty sure we had this exact same conversation a couple weeks ago." I answer, thinking back to my first date with Brandon. I literally want to punch myself in the face for ever even talking to him in the first place, or thinking that coming to this dance with him was some type of good idea.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We did, but it's your fault we're having it again!" She tells me, and it's true. I know that if I didn't come here with Brandon I probably wouldn't have had a date at all, but maybe that didn't matter. Anything would be better than this.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I know..." I sigh, grasping my necklace in my hand tightly. It gives me a bit of comfort with this situation.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The two of us go silent, as my eyes can the crowd. I don't really know what I'm looking for, or if I'm looking for anything. Eventually though my eyes land on someone familiar.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny is walking towards us, and he looks absolutely miserable. Nadia is beside him, and she looks like she's being extra annoying. I can tell she's bossing around Johnny until suddenly, with a huff of breath she walks away.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Suddenly Johnny catches my eye, and a weak smile appeared on his face. For the first time all night, I smile and it's genuine.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He glances over and sees Nadia talking to her best friend Lexi, so it seems as though he decides to walk over to me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm going to get Lucas, I'll be back." Brynn tells me quickly, as she find to walk away.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay." I mumble but I'm pretty sure she didn't hear me. I see her make it over to him, before I peel my eyes away, and notice Johnny is almost here.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Hey." He says standing in front of me, he looks happy, but I can hear a slight of annoyance and exactions in his voice. I push off the wall lightly, and I smile again. Just seeing him makes me feel a lot better.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Hey." I answer happily, even though I'm having an awful night. I notice what Johnny's wearing, a black suite, with a white button up shirt, and I can't help but say he looks...very hot. His green eyes looks more green than ever, and his hair looks a lot more clean cut, and and just better in general.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"So how's your night?" I ask casually, feeling butterflies in my stomach as I talk to him. I still don't know why he's been making me feel this way, but trying to stop it does no use. As I ask that though I see something change in his eyes, but I don't know what.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Probably better than yours." Johnny answers, and for some reason I get a bit confused because he doesn't seem as light hearted as before. His tone suddenly became a lot more serious.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?" I question, raising my eyebrows lightly. Johnny kind of shrugs, and he lightly shuffles his feet.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I mean, why did you come here with Brandon?" He asks seeming kind of mad. I've never seen his mood change that fast. I don't know if he's just cranky from his night or not, but I suddenly feel kind of defensive.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I...I don't know. At least I didn't come with Nadia." I answer him feeling a bit angry myself. Who is he to judge my choice of dates? He seemed fine with Brandon a couple weeks ago, what changed?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What is your problem with Nadia?" He asks, and I have to try to keep my jaw from dropping. Is he serious?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What's my problem with Nadia? What the hell is your problem with Brandon? Are you jealous or something?" I ask without even thinking about it. As the words slip out of my mouth I quickly cover my mouth with my hand, shocked by my own words. I don't even know where that came from.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm jealous of Brandon?" Johnny asks with a sarcastic laugh, suddenly even more mad than he was before. We haven't gotten in a fight in such a long time, and it feels awful.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I...um..." I mumble not really knowing what to say. I didn't even mean to say that, but it's not like I can really take it back now.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It's pretty obvious how jealous you are of Nadia to literally everyone." Johnny answers me, and I can tell he means it, he's not just saying it to hurt my feelings. My jaw drops slightly.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'd never be jealous of a self centered bitch like your fucking girlfriend." I spat at him, anger boiling up inside me. He has no right to take out his anger on me, that is obviously at someone else.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh sure, that's why all you do is talk about her behind her back like a child." He says and I narrow my eyes feeling embarrassed and mad at the same time.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're a dick." I sigh angrily, looking down at my feet. I don't want to meet his eyes.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Whatever." Johnny whispers but I can hear it. He's never treated me like this ever, in our whole lives. We've gotten in countless fights, never this bad though.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You know what..." I tell him, as I grab my necklace. I pull the thin chain hard, and the clasp in the back breaks. "I'm done with this...and you." I finish placing the necklace into his hand roughly. I've never taken that thing off in my whole entire life.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny looks shocked as he closes his hand around the small silver chain. As much as I've ever been mad at him, I've never taken it off, because it means everything to me. Better said, it meant everything to me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Suddenly I look to the other side of me and Brandon is approaching us. I was so focused on fighting with Johnny I hadn't noticed him until now.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What's going on?" Brandon asks looking at me oddly. I probably looks furious that's why. Johnny is still standing in front of me dumbfounded.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nothing, can you take me home?" I ask trying to compose myself. Brandon for some reason followed the limo in his car which was very unnecessary, but now I'm thanking God he did.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah." He answers me still confused. I nod my head, and reach my hand out grabbing his own. I glance over at Johnny one last time and we make eye contact, but I break it immediately. I walk out of the gym without another word. 
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As I leave I hear Johnny call after me, concern in his voice, but I don't look back.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀