Chapter Seventeen

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I sit in my room, looking out my window. It faces my front yard so I get a full view of the cloudy skies that stretch out for miles. It's only four pm, but it might as well be Eight with how dark it is out.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Im at my desk finishing up the last of my homework, but it's not like I really need to get it done. It's Friday, I have the whole weekend to do it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It's just I have nothing better to do. It's been a week since things were normal between Johnny and I, and with everyday it's straining on me even more.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I miss him, so much. I miss his silly laugh, and the way his eyes crinkle when he smiles. I miss hearing all of his dumb jokes, and the way he teases me. I never knew I'd miss those little things.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Suddenly I grab my pencil to try and distract myself. I look back down at my math homework, bit if I'm being honest, I just can't concentrate. It's pretty pathetic of me, I can't even do school work because this boy has taken over my mind.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mackenzie." I hear from outside my door. My eyes snap up to the source, and I recognize the voice as none other than my mom.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Come in." I say just loud enough so that she can hear me. I hear my door knob wiggle, then my door itself squeaks open.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We need to talk." She sighs, making my stomach slightly churn. Those are the last words any kid wants to hear from their parents.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, okay." I answer shakily. I have no idea why I'd be in trouble. Maybe because I barely hung out with Tyler while he was home? Or maybe cause I haven't been helping out as much around the house?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well there's two things, but the first things is, I just talked to Meredith." My mom explains as she walks more into my room, closing my door behind her. I turn my desk chair completely around to face her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You did?" I question a bit nervous. I haven't talked to my mom about anything a that happened, because honestly if I could, I wouldn't have told anyone.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes...she told me you and Johnny haven't talked in quite awhile." My mom adds as she walks closer to me, sitting on the side of my bed. She gives me a skeptical look.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well, were not exactly friends at the moment." I explain twiddling my fingers nervously. Not having Johnny in my life, is like loosing part of me. We have a kind of bond that's once in a lifetime.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Kenz, what happened?" My mom asks raising her eyebrows at me. I let out a breath, as I conjure up the words to say.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh Friday, we got into an argument. Things haven't been good since then, and Johnny hasn't been himself lately." I tell her, and my mom nods, processing that information.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well, I know one thing. You and Johnny will never, ever stay mad at each other for long. You've gotten into countless fights, but never has it been a dent on your relationship." My mom says, and for a moment I smile. It's a weak grin, but it's still there.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I really hope you're right mom...I miss him so much. It feels like apart of me is missing, or like my heart is actually, physically broken." I explain, for the first time in days letting my real feelings out. I never knew what real heart break felt like until now.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Sweetheart, I know I'm right, and you want to know why?" My mom questions, and I bite the inside of my lip. I glance up at her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Why?" I whisper to the point where it's surprising she can hear me still.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Because of something you told me so long ago, you probably don't even remember. One day you and Johnny were arguing over something stupid, you were probably about seven years old. Later that night I asked you if you and Johnny were still friends, and you know what you told me?" My mom asks again, doing that thing mothers seem to do, to leave some type of suspense.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?" I mumble nervously, as I look into my mom eyes. She smiles softly, as she seems to think back to this.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That, Johnny was your best friend, and no matter what you loved him. You said that nothing  could keep you two from being together, not even your own arguing." My mom finishes and I smile, because I vaguely remember saying that. I was a lot wiser as a seven year old it seems like than I am now.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I was totally right....You want to know the worst part of all this?" I ask feeling nervous to even be saying this, because this is something I haven't even told Brynn or Lauren, or anyone for that matter.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I started to realize, right before it happened, that I like Johnny, like as more than a friend. I feel like I've always known though, it's just took awhile for me to accept it...." I explain feeling like a weight has been lifted off my chest. Out of the corner of my eye I see my mom smile, of course she'd love this. She's always wanted me to be with Johnny, he's the only guy she says she approves of me dating.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I knew it, I knew it, I knew it." My mom says excitedly making me giggle. Somehow she has found a way to make me smile even though it feels I like the last thing I want to do.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Im glad this amuses you mom." I say in between chuckles. My mom and I haven't had a real talk in such a long time, it's feels great to honestly.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It does, oh, and I almost forgot, the other thing I needed to tell you was Maddie's going to be here tomorrow, she's staying for a few days." She tells me, and my jaw drops. I haven't seen my sister, who is basically my best friend, since August when she left for college. I've missed her a ton.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh my gosh!" I screech excitedly, I'm going to see my sister, and finally my mind is on something other than Johnny. It won't last long, but maybe I won't feel as much sorrow even if it's temporary.