Chapter Nine

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The wind blows through my hair as we drive down the street, in Brynn's convertible. Usually this thing blows my hair in front of my face and really pisses me off, but today it isn't somehow.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One Friday a month we have a girls night, Brynn, Annie, Lauren, Nadia and I. You see, we didn't want Nadia to come, but she wouldn't stop bugging us.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Plus, I've been avoiding her long enough. Since she set me up with Brandon I've been more mad at her than usual, but I think I need her help. He's literally the only person I can go to homecoming with, and she seems to be pretty good friends with him, so I need to talk to her about it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Lucas asked me to homecoming today." Brynn says as she takes a right turn. We all look at her almost at the same time.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"How'd he ask you?" I ask my best friend eagerly, considering there have been a lot of extravagant homecoming proposes lately. She smiles widely, and I can tell she's thinking back to it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"He just gave me roses and asked me. I liked it better that way then a huge thing, it was more personal you know?" Brynn says bitting her lip to hold back a smile. I envy her and Lucas's relationship, why can't I find someone like that? I seem to always find the worst guys.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That's cute." Lauren pipes up from the back seat, and I can almost hear the smile on her face. For being two years younger than us, Lauren has always fit pretty well into our little group.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah it is. Johnny hasn't officially asked me yet, but his proposal better be amazing." Nadia says and I mentally face palm. Johnny deserves so much better than her, so much better than this girl who treats him like a pawn in her game.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Did Hayden ask you yet Annie?" Brynn questions quickly just trying to change the subject. I'm thankful because I don't feel like hearing Nadia complain about homecoming, even if the subject is Annie and Hayden.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah, he wrote it out on a sign and it was so cute..." Annie says happily. You know, I'm happy that one of my best friends is happy, it's just hard to except she's happy with my crush of many years.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I don't know who I'm going to go with." I says purposely to see if Nadia mentions Brandon. I feel pathetic trying to obtain a date with that loser.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What about Brandon?" Nadia asks eagerly, and I try to act neutral.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Maybe if he asked me." I shrug trying to drop a hint. Everyone knows Nadia is always trying to match make me with someone, and if she thinks she succeeding she'll try extra hard.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I can talk to him for you...if you want of course." She answers me and I bite the inside of my lip. I do really feel bad for wanting to use Brandon so I can go to homecoming, but in the same sense he's a jerk and kind of deserves it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay." I force a smile, and Nadia nods happily. Gosh, this girl is easy to manipulate. Out of the corner of my eyes I see Brynn point to her mouth and gag as if to symbol throwing up, and I have to try extra hard not to laugh.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀---------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We decided to sleepover my house tonight. I think the only reason it happened was because Nadia really wanted to because of how close it is to Johnny's house. Lauren also wanted to because it's close to her own home.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So now were all in my basement, because my room is too small for all five of us. Also, because I have a finished basement so it's like a living room, but way cooler.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Brynn is sitting on the beige couch in her pajamas and with a blanket on her lap. I'm sitting on the other side of the sofa with a blanket as well. Lauren is sitting on the floor in front of us, on a bunch of blankets we used to create a makeshift sleeping bag I guess.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Annie is laying on the blankets, in a way where she is kind of facing Brynn and I. Nadia is sitting on the other side scrolling through her phone.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We should play a game." Annie suggests randomly. We just finished watching a movie, so we're kind of bored, and I think this idea sound good.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay, what game?" Brynn asks looking down at Annie. The girl shrugs her shoulders, but she looks likes she thinking about it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"How about kiss, marry, kill?" Nadia questions suddenly engaged into our conversation. Brynn and I glance at each other out of the corner of our eyes.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah!" Lauren exclaims before the rest of us can even answer. I don't really mind playing, but knowing Nadia she will turn it into drama.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay, I'll go first." Nadia announces and no one objects, "Lauren, uh...Hayden, Dylan, and Thomas." Incase your confused, Thomas is a boy in Lauren's grade that's she's pretty close with. It's pretty obvious she's been crushing on him for awhile now. Dylan, is a really popular boy in her grade as well.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh gosh..." Lauren giggles, with a wide smile. "Kill Dylan, I don't know him very well. Kiss Hayden, only because he's my brothers best friend so I've known him awhile, and marry Thomas." Lauren says the part about Hayden quickly, her eyes darting to Annie, and her checks turn pink when she mentions Thomas.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The game keeps continues going on and on. I must have answered the stupid question about five times, all being random boys I don't know too well.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay, I have good one for you Kenzie. Hayden, Brandon and Johnny." Nadia says with a smirk, and my eyes widen. I literally just want to slap her in the face right now.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I...I don't know." I kind of stutter. If I tell the truth, she'll probably figure out I don't like Brandon's that much, or the fact that I'm not completely over Hayden.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Just answer." Annie chimes with a chuckle. I roll my eyes and grab my necklace.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Whatever," I sigh clearly in a bad mood, "Kill Brandon, kiss Hayden and marry Johnny." I answer truthfully. The whole marrying Johnny thing isn't because I like him or something, it's just I know him way better than Brandon or Hayden, and unlike those two, he's never made me feel...broken or stupid.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The game continues after that but out of the corner of my eye I can see Nadia glaring at me, her whole attitude has changed. It's her fault, if she didn't want to know the answer to the question she shouldn't have asked.