Chapter 3

Warnings: Mentions of blood

~Vikk's P.O.V.~

I flinch as the heavy stone collides with the back of the mutant's head. As he tumbles, a red gem is visible for a flash as his arms fly out, and I turn and glare at Kenny who cheers when he crashes to the ground.

"Mate, what the fudge was that for?!"
Kenny turns to me, rolling his eyes with a smile. "Oh come on Vikk, the freak deserved it. He's been stealing from us for weeks! He had it coming."
"No one deserves to have a rock thrown at their head." I mumble disappointedly, watching as the mutant scrambles to his feet, staggering away.
Kenny scoffs. "Lighten up! It's not like he's a gold gem. He must have that red gem for a reason, so therefore I have a reason to throw stuff at him."
"You don't know that! What if I turned into a red gem, right now. Hm? Would you throw a rock at my head?"

Kenny falls silent, refusing to meet my gaze. Huffing, I cross my arms, anger boiling inside me.

"That's what I thought." I mutter, glaring daggers at him, and then turning and storming away.

     I don't look back as he calls frantically after me, trying to make up some lame excuse for his behaviour. Honestly, the mutant isn't hurting anyone, so why does anyone care if he steals something every once in a while? In fact, I bet the only reason he has to steal in the first place, is because if he's seen out in the open, he'll probably be killed on the spot! Staring off in the direction he ran, I shake my head, starting to lose my faith in humanity.

      As I wander aimlessly around town, weaving my way through the bustling streets, I being to ponder at what the mutant or hybrid or whatever he is actually looks like. I've seen him around a couple of times, but he always wears a black hooded cloak that conceals his features. Today was the first real glance I've gotten at what he might look like, when Kenny threw that stone at his head, and he fell face first to the ground. When his arms flailed out to break his fall, I caught sight of his hand, which seem to be made of a warmly glowing lava. And then he was off again, in the direction of the forest. I feel bad for the guy, and wish that there's some way I could help him. But to do so, I might risk becoming a red gem myself, and I don't want to take that chance.

     A ground shaking blast snaps me from my thoughts, and I whirl around in the direction of the noise, my heart rate picking up suddenly. But when I see it's just a TNT launched into the sky from the middle of town, a signal for the town to gather for an important announcement, I let out a sigh of relief. They really need to think of a better signal. I grumble inwardly to myself, starting to make my way to the centre of town, where there's a raised podium in the middle of the plaza. Arriving, with everyone already clustered in a messy circle around to podium, I climb on top of a couple crates to get a better view. There's hushed whispers in the crowd as the mayor of our town steps onto the podium, everyone curious as to what this sudden announcement could be. Another blast from the TNT canon silences any conversations. The mayor clears his throat, bringing himself to his full height and projecting his voice around the plaza.

     "People of Orseville, I thank you for coming on such short notice." The mayor, Jordan, opens, not yelling but his voice still easily carrying across the entire plaza. "It has come to my attention that the mutant infiltrating our town, bearing a red gem, has become quite a nuisance. Every time he strikes he takes something that is not his own, and yet, manages to escape largely unaffected!"

This causes a chorus of angry yells and boos to rise from the crowd, and there's a sinking sensation in my stomach as I fear what Jordan might be getting at. A third TNT blast silences everyone once again.

"But worry not, for I've heard your cries. It is time we take a stand, and make sure that monstrosity never returns to this place! My loyal citizens, it's time to go hunting! Gather your weapons, we leave within the hour to the forest where he dwells!"

This time the cries that sound from the crowd are ones of eagerness and excitement, everyone hollering and pumping their firsts into the air.

"Oh no..." I gasp, panic flooding into my mind as everyone begins to swarm to gather weapons and other things to kill the poor mutant with.

Vaulting down from the crates, already having made up my mind, I push and shoulder my way through the crowd, not bothering to apologize even when I knock a few people over. I have to warn him, he doesn't deserve this! I tell myself, breaking through the front of the crowd and making my way straight for the stables. Kicking open the door, I break into the stables, dashing through the back door where a large fenced in pasture holds all the peoples horses. I need to hurry. I think, running up to the nearest horse-a grey one with a black mane and dozens of small white spots-and swinging myself up into her saddle. Heart pounding, I lash the horses reins, urging her on. Riding in a wild gallop, I dig my heels into her side, and with a loud neigh she vaults the fence blocking us with ease. There's a steady beat as her hooves strike against the cobblestone street, many people crying out in alarm as I thunder past them, soon passing out of the towns borders.

Outside the grass is trampled under her hooves, still eating up ground in terrifying speed, and I grip the reins so tight my knickers turn white. Then last this I want to do is fall from the saddle, especially going this speed. Up ahead, the massive forest climbs into view, filled to the brim with oak and birch trees. Come one horsey, almost there. I urge the horse silently, praying she won't run out of energy before I reach the forest. As come halfway through the field, a faint breeze stirs up, causing my bangs to fall out of place and in front of my eyes. With my vision obscured, I reach a hand up to brush away the stands of black hair. As soon as I comb my hair out of the way again, my eyes widen as I catch sight of a streak of white light headed straight towards me. Pain erupts through me as the air is knocked from my lungs, and I'm thrown from the saddle. Black creeps into my vision as I crash to the ground, gasping and withering on the ground, clutching at my chest. With a terrified bray, the horse rears up and bolts off without me, kicking up dust as she goes. Ears ringing, blood dripping down from a cut over my eye, one last pained groan slips past my lips. And then, my head falls to the ground, and everything disappears.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

Anyone recognize who the mayor was?