Chapter 5

I started a #revivethepack thing on Lachlan's latsest future of this channel video thing

If you wanna, go spam #revivethepack or like my comment

Cmon guys this is our chance to get Lachlan to notice and play with the pack more :3

Warnings: None

     ~Mitch's P.O.V.~

Wiping the accumulating sweat on my forehead, I grip the teal orb in my hand tightly, aiming and pitching it in a soft arc over the river of lava bubbling dozens of blocks below. The enderpearl shatters against the blood-red ground, and there's a momentary sensation of my body folding in in itself. A sharp pain shoots through my legs, everything flashes, and then a second later I'm standing on the opposite side of the gaping ravine. There are more quiet shattering sounds as several other enderpearls land in the relative area, and then everyone else appears beside me, the purple gems on their hands gleaming in the glow of lava and glow stone. Turning and taking a moment to assess the group I've been given for this Nether Fortress raid, I frown as I take in everyone's worn out, tired, sweaty, and anxious forms. We've been in the Nether for just over an hour now, and everyone is drenched in sweat, panting quietly and slouching. And the closer we travel to the fortress, the more nervous they seem to get. Everyone here, besides my friends Pete and Matt, have newly earned purple gems-the gems of warriors. This is their first test as a real warrior, and so it's expected for them to be a little on edge. So, a small smile creeps to my lips as I decide to bring up an ongoing joke, in an attempt to lighten the mood.

I pull out my map, pretending to study it while talking casually over my shoulder.

"Y'know, a year ago today was the day Matt died..."

This grabs everyone's attention, and I can feel their confused stares directed at me. After all, Matt is quiet clearly standing right beside me. His head turns towards me, and his blue glassy eyes narrow, crossing his arms.

"Stop telling everyone I'm dead!" He grumbles, shooting an angry glare at Pete, who is trying to hide a giggle.
      I sigh dramatically. "Sometimes I can still hear him talking."

This causes the small cluster of warriors to laugh quietly. It's a running joke to mourn over Matt's 'death', based off of how around a year back he had a heart attack after an ugly spider jump scared him. Matt's jaw opens slightly, and then he slams it shut, a tint of red seeping into his blue eyes.

"MITCH. STOP." He growls with that usual subtle metallic ring to his voice.
"Did you hear something, Mitch? I could've sworn I just heard a voice." Pete teases, picking up on the act and smirking.
"Ugh I give up on you two." Matt huffs, shaking his head and stomping off to take the lead.

A chorus of laughter rises from the group of purple gems behind me, and a grin spreads across my face as I see them smiling and laughing, obviously cheered up by the banter. As I press on again, starting up the rise of a small hill, I pass Matt and he sighs in frustration. But I still don't miss that tiny smile on his face.

"I hate you so much."
"Love ya too, Nooch."

As our small group comes to the crest of the hill, the giant dull maroon brick fortress climbs into view, silhouetted against the sea of lava bubbling for chunks upon chunks around it. Small orange figures float calmly on its massive bridges, and if you look close enough, you can see the skinny outlines of wither skeletons patrolling the enormous structure. Somewhere in the distance, a ghast mewls out its mournful cry, which as it echoes through the empty caverns gives an ominous touch to the scene. A group of zombie pigmen nearby grunt curiously as we pass, golden swords clutched ready in their paws, glinting dangerously in the warm glow of a lava pool. A few members of my party gulp nervously as we pass the unnerving lot, but they know there's nothing to fear from them unless they're provoked.

Pulling out an enderpearl, I hold it calmly in my palm, then turning to address my raiding party. "Alright guys, this is it. Throw on your armour, draw your weapons, drink your fire resistance potions, and aim your enderpearls for that little platform up there." I command them, pointing to a small pre-built platform above the fortress, built by a scout beforehand.

Everyone nods firmly, clanks of metal against metal sounds as sets of iron and diamond armour are thrown on, and various weapons are drawn. I myself already have my armour on, wanting to set a good example despite the scorching heat. There's several small pops as the lids of potions are unstopped, and we all gulp down the contents of our fire resistance potions. As creamy orange particles begin to float into the air, I nod approvingly at the group assembled before me. Stepping aide, I gesture for Pete to go.

"You and Matt go first, I'll make sure no one is left behind." I offer.
"Sounds good." Pete agrees, turning and hurling his enderpearl at the platform.

A moment later, he's gone in a cloud of purple wisps. On the platform, Pete suddenly appears, and he moves to the edge and waves, signalling he's safe and that there are no present threats. Matt tosses his enderpearl next, coming only a little bit short of the platform, and teleporting onto the very edge. Whereas a few shocked gasps sound from the people behind me, I smile easily, knowing all too well he'll be fine. And to prove my point, I watch as Pete jumps forward, leaning down and grabbing a hold of Matt's hands, hauling the cyborg up with relative ease. Some of the bolder people in my party, mostly wanting to make a good impression in front of me, step up confidently and throw their enderpearls up to the platform. And after a few minutes and encouraging words, the rest of the group fizzles out, leaving just me. Tossing and catching my enderpearl in one hand, I draw my arm back, and go to throw the pearl and join the rest of the group. And then suddenly, there's an earsplitting angry cry, and a fire ball is spiralling towards me.

Years of training and drills kick in and I instinctively whip out my sword, pivoting and splitting the fireball a millisecond before it crashes into me. But at such close quarters, the explosions still packs a punch, and I'm thrown like a rag doll a good ten or so blocks, before coming to a rolling stop on a patch of quartz ore. Groaning in pain and embarrassment, I move to stand up and try to brush that humiliating moment off, only to cry out as a pain suddenly cuts through my chest like a hot knife. Staggering to my feet, I rip off my chest plate, wincing as I poke at my side and a searing pain replies, indicating that at least two of my ribs are fractured or broken. A dying hiss echoes out as an arrow whistles from stop the platform, brining the ghast down on the spot.

"Mitch, are you okay?!" Matt shouts in concern from on the platform, a bow still clutched in his hand.
"I'm okay, but I thinks few of my ribs are broken.... And I didn't bring any healing potions along! I'd really hate to do this to you guys, but I'm afraid I'll have to go back and get fixed up!" I call back. "You guys lead on without me, I'll go back."
Pete steps forward now, even at a distance still clearly reluctant to the idea. "Are you sure you'll be alright Mitch? You're already injured!"
"I'll be fine!" I assure him. "Now go on! Don't waste your time on me!"

Pete nods, and slowly, the group backs away from the edge of the platform, proceeding with the raid without me. I sigh angrily, mentally kicking myself for making such a stupid and humiliating rookie mistake. Grimacing in pain, I turn, and begin to sulkily walk away.

And it turns out it's not the only mistake I make, and I realize too late that the sudden breeze picking up is unnatural. And for the second time in a span of only a few minutes, there's a large impact crashing into my chest. Except this time, I don't have time to react and partially deflect the blow, and instead go crashing into a cluster of low-hanging glow stone, everything instantly going dark.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

This is gonna be a question similar to last chapter cuz I'm tired and I'm too lazy to think of a better question XD

#NoochZahHutt

OTP
NOTP
Or
Idk this ship

My answer: OTP ;)