Chapter 9

Warnings: Slight blood, mentions of death

~Vikk's P.O.V.~

     Groaning in pain, I slowly push myself up into a sitting position, moving an arm to rub my bleary eyes. This soon turns out to be a bad idea, however, as a jolt of pain shoots up my right arm. Instinctively flinching, I peer down at my arm, frowning as I see its bent in at an angle that's shouldn't be possible. Hugging my broken arm close to my chest, I smack my dry lips and squint at my surroundings, trying to regain some memory of what happened. I overheard Jordan saying we were all going to kill the mutant, then I ran off to go warn him, then there was this bright streak of light, and then I fell of the horse and...

      My eyes suddenly shoot open, and I pull out my broken arm once again, my gaze instantly moving towards my gem. It's only natural that my jaw drops and my eyes widen when I see the white gem there, in place of the green one I've been accustomed to my entire life. And if I really do have a white gem, that means the dream was true, and that Notch really is dead. My stomach churns at the thought. Even though the black gem-Herobrine I think his name was-doesn't have Notch's power, black gems are still incredibly powerful and now that there's nothing to stop him...

      My train wreck of thoughts is soon cut off as the sound of shouting and pounding footsteps reaches my ears. Whipping my head in that direction, I watch in horror as only around sixty people swarm our from the forest, compared to the over a hundred that went it. All of them are bruised and beaten, and many of the, suffer bad burn marks or bruises. I breathe a silent breath of relief when I see Kenny is still alive, but panic quickly overrides my thoughts, and I jump to my feet. As Kenny catches sight of me, and starts to quickly limp his way over, I hastily tuck my broken arm in and hide my gem underneath my armpit. The last thing I need them to see is that I have a white gem now, especially after... Whatever just happened.

"Kenny? What happened?" I question as he stops in front of me, everyone else continuing to hustle back to the village.
"We went to go kill the mutant, a-and... And when we caught up to him... He w-was with a Mage in a clearing. That Mage... H-he was incredibly strong. Like I mean, a-as strong as Seto, if not s-stronger." Kenny wheezes, and I note he stands on only one leg, the other lifted slightly.
"Stronger than Seto?" I question doubtfully.
Kenny nods, huffing and taking a deep breath. "Could be. And while we're on the subject... Are you okay? It looks like that.. Freak hurt you pretty bad."
"He didn't- oh. Um, yeah.. He uh, got me real good there." I lie, forcing a smile. "It's nothing too serious though! Just... A twisted arm. Yeah, twisted, not broken. Heh."

Smooth Vikk. I think dully, mentally facepalming.

Kenny raises an eyebrow. "Riiight. Now come on, we need to get back in town before those two decide to finish what they started."

Glancing anxiously back at the forest, I let my gaze linger in the shadow of the trees, before turning and following after Kenny.

~~~

     "What am I going to do..." I sigh to myself, running a hand through my hair, staring blankly at the dark ceiling above me.

     Outside moonlight filters in through the window, and the cries of mobs echo through the night. And with all that's happened in the past twenty-four hours, it's no wonder I can't sleep. Sighing in frustration I shift for the millionth time, being careful not to move my arm too much. After getting back to the village, I somehow managed to keep my gem hidden, and now my arm is in a sling. The sling also thankfully covers my gem. But in this village we do have access to the occasional healing potion, and though we're out now, it's only a matter of time until I'll have to take this sling off. And then what would everyone think, when they saw my white gem? Given the current reputation among us, I'd probably be locked up or killed or something. So staying here isn't an option.

      But do I really want to leave? I remind myself, frowning. Going to another village would be pointless, so I'd have to do this thing Notch wanted me to do. But am I really qualified for this? It seems like I'm in over my head... I huff, pulling myself into a sitting position and staring out the window. I can't believe he's dead. And I can't believe out of all people, I'M one of the six he chose! I don't understand... And I don't think I ever will. But, if I'm being honest with myself... I let out a long breath, holding my head in my hands. I guess I can't just chicken out and let the world be destroyed just because I'm scared. It's going to be dangerous-even if there's five more like me, and we all get powers. But I can't stay here. Not with all that's at risk. So I guess that means I'm really leaving...

     My bare feet make contact with the cool floor, and a shiver runs up my spine. Quivering, I walk over to the opposite end of the room, and creak open a chest.

     "I can't believe I'm actually doing this..." I mumble, fishing around and pulling out a few supplies.

     Taking only the necessities, which includes some food, armour, and a weapons, I turn and push open my window. Taking one last sad glance at my home, and saying a silent goodbye to Kenny and all my other friends here, I turn and vault myself through the window. Sorry guys, but it's for the greater good. Landing softly on the grass, I force myself to breathe and keep quiet as I creep through the shadows. Even though there aren't any guards or patrols, my heart rate still instinctively picks up, and I pull out my iron sword just in case. Staying as far away from the main streets as I can, I begin to weave my way through Oresville, ducking under windows and staying as far as possible away from mobs. To be honest, I don't even know where im supposed to be going. But I do know I don't want to head into the forest, in fear of running into the Mage or mutant or the dozens of mobs lurking there.

     My heart leaps into my throat as I turn a corner, and come face to face with a spider. Biting my tongue to muffle my scream, I jab my sword out and cut the arachnid down, scrunching up my nose in disgust as dark red blood spurts out. The spider gives a loud dying hiss, before vanishing in a puff of smoke. Suddenly a torch is light up from the inside of the house, and my eyes widen. Looking quickly around, I curse quietly, clenching my sword. I really didn't want to go into the forest, but I can't risk getting caught right now. So booking it, I sprint as fast as I can through the grassy field, ignoring the alarmed shouts from behind me. The occupant of the house calls out after me, yelling something along the lines of 'Who are you?'. But I don't dare look back, and despite my better judgment, disappear right into the huge, dark, mob-filled forest.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

Soon I'll be introducing each of their powers, so do you guys have any guesses as to what they might be?

Hint: They aren't element based
Double Hint: I've already told the powers of one of them