Chapter One - The Beach

Hey, again wonderful people! Thanks for reading! Remember to vote if you enjoyed and comment if you've got something to say!

Bare with me through the first chapters, everyone. Yes, things seem cliche and honestly, the first few pages could use some work. But, give it a chance, and hopefully, you'll enjoy. 

Happy reading!

***

I was being followed.

It had taken me a while to notice, but now that I knew it, there was no denying the sense of danger.

I had been lazily walking along the sand, letting the ocean waves wash around my ankles. The ocean always seemed to calm me, and today I needed it more than usual. The crashing of the waves had no problem taking over my senses, and I had no problem letting them. Maybe that's why the man was practically on top of me before I even noticed him.

Once I realized I was being followed, I managed to fall in pace with a group of teenagers walking my way. As I walked with them, I watched until the man fell further behind the group, clearly confused. When he was a safe enough distance I ducked underneath one of the large boulders lining the beach. Since then, I hadn't moved. I hadn't even peeked around the rock to see if he was close to my hiding spot. I didn't know who the man was, or what he wanted, but I wasn't intent on finding out.

The only problem was that I wasn't supposed to be here at the beach. I was supposed to be on my way back home so that I could beat my mother's husband before he got there. However, I'd gotten off work early today, and thought I'd chance a small walk along the shore.

I'd told myself that I needed a clear brain. This week held countless things I needed to sort out, including how and when I was going to escape this place. Of course, this wasn't something I could talk about. If anyone found out what I was planning, I'd be punished for my crime. It wasn't exactly legal for a human to leave this town.

The sun was starting its slow descent from the sky and I knew my time on the beach should be ending. I took a deep breath, holding myself as still as possible as I peeked up from the black boulder. My eyes quickly darted each direction, watching for immediate signs of danger. When I saw none, I let my gaze scan the area slowly. After a few moments, I realized the man was nowhere in sight and I could chance an escape.

I peeled myself away from the smooth surface and tiptoed through the sand, though I knew it wouldn't make a difference. When I was fully out in the open, I started walking quickly. My senses were more aware now though, so I figured I'd know if the man was close.

I was wrong.

All at once, the man appeared once again in my vision. He was ahead of me this time and it took all my self-control to calmly turn around and head back the other direction. It was opposite of where I needed to go, but it didn't matter. At this point, the only thing that mattered was not getting caught. Because of this, I had to force myself not to sprint in the other direction or draw attention to myself. I told myself that for all I knew he hadn't noticed me, and I would be able to slip away silently. 

Suddenly, a large hand was placed on my shoulder, just above my backpack. I whirled around, coming face to face with my stalker. He was taller than me; at least another two heads beyond mine. He was thick and muscular, his broad shoulders practically blocking my line of view. His beefy hands fully enveloped my shoulder and I suddenly felt as if I was five years old again, looking at the face of someone that held much more power than I ever would.

The grip on my shoulder released when I turned around, but I didn't stay put. I slowly started backing away, raising my palms towards my assailant while simultaneously looking for an escape route.