Chapter Thirty-Nine - I Have to Go

Song - Not Today - Imagine Dragons

***

"I know," Samuel told me.

"Then why can't we go?" I questioned, angrily wiping away my tears.

Samuel's hand that was resting on my arm flinched forward, but he sighed, and dropped it from me completely, instead. "I told you. It's not safe."

I shook my head. "Will would never hurt me."

Samuel looked at me, and I could have sworn I saw an ounce of pity in his eyes. Before I could catch it, he looked at the ceiling, avoiding my gaze. "Will's not going to be himself."

"I don't understand." My voice cracked as I spoke, but I chose to ignore it. I also chose to ignore the fact that all the knowledge I previously had about humans shifting was suddenly nowhere to be found. It had been replaced by sheer and utter panic that was slowly clouding my thoughts, throwing anything and everything else out the window. 

"Right now, there's a wolf in Will that is trying to get out. Considering how long he's had that bite, it's going to be a strong one. Will's not going to be in control of his actions."

"What do you mean how long he's had the bite?" I questioned, frantically. "Who bit him? Why am I just now finding out?" Then, I paused, a sudden, red-hot fury entering my chest. It pressed down heavily against me, weighing enough to stop my breathing and any rational thought. Ever so slowly, I looked up at Samuel and seethed my next words.

"Did you know?"

"Of course, not!" Samuel immediately shot his gaze back to me, eyebrows raising. It wasn't hard to notice my sudden change of attitude, and Samuel realized I was ready to snap if he said the wrong words. He proceeded slowly, watching for any sign that I might lose it."Samantha, I would never keep that from you."

Somehow, I knew he was telling the truth. But, the fire was still alight in my heart. It wanted someone to blame. It wanted a reason to scream.

"Who bit him?"

Samuel was eyeing me warily, watching my chest rapidly rise and fall. "We don't know for sure. We won't know until he shifts."

My lips twisted into a disgusted scowl. I believed Samuel, but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Though I didn't blame him, and somehow, I knew he was telling me the truth, the only thing I could think about was that it was his Alpha that had caused this. It had to have been. Riley biting Will was the only explanation. He was the current source of all my suffering, and he would be forever.

I didn't realize it at first, but my rational thinking was suddenly nowhere to be found. Instead, it was replaced by a feeling stronger than anything I'd ever before felt. A resentment so strong that it buried itself in my very core. It started in my chest, then seemed to bleed into every one of my veins, coursing through my body until there was nothing left but pure and raw hatred. 

Samuel suddenly took a step back, causing me to turn my glare on him. However, when I rested my bitter stare on him, he wasn't glaring back. A look of concern mixed with confusion flashed in his eyes, and his mouth hung half open with an unspoken thought.

"What?" I snapped.

He shook his head, quickly recovering his steps. He eyed me for another moment, before slowly speaking. His voice came out smooth and level, attempting to lull me into a calmer state.

"Samantha, you have every right to be angry. I won't tell you otherwise. But, we must keep a level head about this. If we're going to find who did it, we need to stay calm."