Chapter Forty-Eight - It Was In The Tree Line

Samuel left quickly and without looking back. I remained in my position on the bed, sinking further into the comforter by the second. It wasn't only the bed that wanted to swallow me, though. The entire room spoke of comfort and quaintness, drawing me into its soft and warm embrace.

Sighing, I leaned against the wall behind me. My head brushed against the side of the window, and absentmindedly, my eyes wandered to the outside world. Exhaustion was quickly taking its toll on my body, but my mind held back. Almost immediately after Samuel leaving, my thoughts turned to Will. Among all my other questions and demands for answers, I'd forgotten to ask about my brother. I knew he was only a few doors down, but that gave me little comfort.

I looked away from the fogged glass to the bedroom door. The wood stood mockingly sturdy and proud. There was no way for me to break through the door, no way to see through even a crack into the hallway. I knew of course that I wasn't locked in, simply that someone was supposed to be standing outside the door preventing anyone from entering. Still, I felt trapped.

At the last thought, I found myself scowling. First, at the door, then at my ankle. If I wasn't constantly injured, making any sort of attempt at escape or seeing my brother would be a lot easier. That door wouldn't be as intimidating, and I wouldn't feel as imprisoned.

My glare deepened, and I shifted my weight forward, gingerly placing my foot on the ground. I put the smallest amount of pressure on it and immediately drew back from the sharp pain shooting up my ankle. As soon as I did, there was a sudden creak outside the door. I whipped my gaze back up to the wood just in time to see the door slowly opening.

A small hint of fear suddenly laced my limbs as I watched a figure come into view. The realization that I was in a house full of angry werewolves was quickly falling upon me, along with the recognition that if one wanted to barge into my room and hurt me, I was completely defenseless. Soon, I felt my body tense with anticipation as my heart began to climb.

Abruptly though, the fear was cut short. The figure came into view and I let out a large breath of relief. "Raven," I sighed. "What are you doing here?" My hand made its way to my chest, clutching my racing heart.

"Sorry," she shrugged sheepishly. "I didn't mean to scare you. I was supposed to bring you this." She held up a small blue bundle by a white cap. A rag was wrapped underneath it, catching stray bits of water running off the sides of the shiny material. "It's an ice pack," she continued, as she shut the door behind her and made her way over to the bed. "Marshall said to put it on your ankle."

"You spoke to him?" I asked as I took the pack from her, lifting my foot onto the bed.

Raven hesitated for a moment before nodding and sitting on the edge of the mattress next to me. "Just in passing. He didn't say anything other than to get you an ice pack."

I placed the pack on my ankle, wincing slightly at the contact. When the coolness of the rag crept onto my skin, I sighed. "Thank you. Hopefully, this will fix it."

She smiled lightly. "Just doing my job. Let me know if you need anything else?" Raven stood and began walking back toward the door.

"Wait," I called, just as she put her hand on the doorknob. "How is he? Will?"

She turned back to face me. "I'm not sure, to be honest. We haven't heard anything from the room since we brought him in there. At this point in the shift, he should be resting."

"Is it over?" I asked, hope rising in my chest.

Raven grimaced. "No. Not even close."

My heart dropped. "Is he going to lose control again?"