Chapter Thirty-One - I Don't Need a Wheelchair

Song - Holding On and Letting Go - Ross Copperman

***

I quickly reciprocated Samuel's smile. I couldn't help it. In that moment, a weight I'd been carrying for years was finally taken away. It was liberating. It was freeing. It made it seem as if everything would eventually be okay. 

"They really mean a lot to you, don't they?" Samuel suddenly questioned. 

I turned again to look at him. I'd been staring at the wall for the past few minutes, relishing in my small reprieve from reality. "They're all I have. They're everything," I answered simply.

"I understand." He gave me a small grin, though it was laced with an emotion other than joy. I tried to catch it, but as soon as it came, it was gone.

I furrowed my eyebrows, speaking before I knew what I was saying. "What about you?"

"What about me?" He looked at me with curiosity and amusement.

I bit my lip. "Well, I mean, do you have a family?"

Samuel was surprised at my sudden forwardness, and to be frank, so was I. The question and my curiosity slipped out before I could stop them. My initial instinct was to retract my question and apologize, but I resisted the urge, letting the question linger heavy in the air. Emotions ran across Samuel's face, disappearing the minute they surfaced. He was quiet for a few moments, deep in thought and contemplating something weighing heavy on his mind.  He stole a glance my way every few seconds, as if reassuring himself I was still there.

When he finally did answer, his face was devoid of any emotion. "The pack is my family."

"Oh," I breathed. 

"Why the sudden interest?" He gave me a sideways glance.

I let out a long sigh. "I don't know. I was just curious."

He laughed once. "The pack is all I have," he told me, though his voice was slightly strained. "Riley's always been there for me and I hope I can always be there for him and the pack."

At Riley's name, thoughts, memories, and threats flashed through my mind. My mood was instantly dampened. I didn't let that reach my face but gave Samuel a small smile. "That's nice. I'm glad you have him."

Samuel raised one eyebrow at me. I broke his gaze and stared once more at the wall. Just as he was about to say something else, there was a small and timid knock on the door. We both whipped our gazes to it, Samuel tensing slightly. 

After the third knock sounded, the light wooden door began to slowly open. A woman peeked her head through, glancing at Samuel as she did. He nodded once and that was enough for her to fully enter the room. When she was fully in view, I was able to recognize her as the woman from before who helped in sedating me. It was her voice that ultimately lulled me into what seemed to be a neverending sleep.

She spoke softly as she walked slowly forward. "How are you feeling today?" Her gaze darted between Samuel and me. 

"Tired," I trailed off, suspicious of her intentions. Under no circumstances would I be sedated again. 

"That's to be expected." She smiled sweetly, tucking away a piece of blonde hair into her ponytail. It was then I realized the bags under her eyes and the permanent face of exhaustion she seemed to brand. She was older than me, probably middle-aged, with a petite frame that was heavily weighed down. 

The woman continued her way across the room and came to stand on the opposite side of the bed of Samuel. She looked over the monitors, writing a few thing down here and there. No one in the room breathed and the sound of silence was deafening.