Chapter Sixty-Three - To The Death

The fight erupted without a moment's notice. Samuel and Bray were at each other's throats faster than they could even shift. They met mid-air in a tangle of arms and shifting limbs. As their wolves took control, blood spread and the crowd thinned. Some women screamed. Some men ran for the comfort of the forest. Others stayed in the clearing but backed away just enough so they could watch the challenge unfold. 

At the head of those who stayed was Goldie. She spread her arms and pushed back those who remained behind, keeping them away from the snarling and out of control wolves. Her face was set in a firm grimace, as though she expected disaster. 

My heart reached and battled with Samuel. Bray had a ferocity that was hard to be matched. With every wound Samuel inflicted, Bray would cause another. With every howl of pain Bray would cry, he'd make sure Samuel felt it, ten-fold. But, Samuel was not a quitter. And he wasn't going to be beaten. 

The wolves circled each other, lunging and withdrawing. Bray had Samuel backed up against the forest. Both of their fur was standing on edge, rippling with anticipation. Blood stained Samuel's coat to the point that the blond was nearly invisible. He was limping heavily on one leg and a chunk of his ear was missing. Bray was none the worse. He tried to hide it, but his back leg was nearly gone. 

The battle raged and raged. Minutes passed by quicker than seconds. With each one, the wolves became more wounded. But, this didn't slow them down. They tumbled over one another, tore with teeth, pounced with vigor. This was the end of the line for them both, and neither was content to let the fight end quickly. 

Bray lunged. As soon as he did, he realized his mistake. Samuel whirled, dodging as he dove to the side and leaped off a tree, then rounded to pounce on Payton's back. He tore into his neck and Bray's black wolf crumbled. The struggle continued for a few minutes more as Payton tried everything to get Samuel off his back. But, Samuel was relentless. His wolf was beyond anything I'd ever seen. At that moment, I think Samuel could have taken over the world. 

When Payton ceased his struggles, Samuel shifted back to his skin. He still held Bray pinned to the ground, and soon enough, he shifted back, as well. The clearing was in absolute silence and the only thing to break it was the sound of the men's heavy breathing. 

"Submit," Samuel commanded, digging his elbow into Bray's neck. 

"You'll never be fit," Payton panted. He gasped for air as Samuel dug deeper into his airway. "You're not even a real wolf."

Samuel roared. He drew back a fist and sent it flying at Payton. Blood splattered and blended with grass and skin. 

"They won't accept you!" Bray shouted. "I've already told the chiefs. You'll never be Alpha. Nobody wants you."

"It's over Bray. You've lost," Samuel shouted. Their faces were inches apart. "Submit!"

There was a pause stiller than silence. Then, Bray laughed. "To the death, Samuel."

Without warning, he shifted back to his wolf and lunged. His teeth went for Samuel's torso, but before they could end his life, Samuel turned and grabbed the wolf's neck. He jumped on Bray's back, twisted, and fell.

The echo of a sickening crack went on for what felt like hours. Samuel laid motionless on Bray's wolf's back. Bray was no longer breathing. Samuel looked lifeless, as well. 

No one else dared to move. The first to break this trance was Goldie. She rushed forward and knelt by Samuel and began running her hands along his back. They came back coated in blood. My eyes narrowed and I realized that though the fight was over, Samuel was far from alright. Blood was continuously pouring from countless wounds across his body. Goldie wasted no time in grabbing pieces of shredded clothing and covering the gashes.