Chapter Two - The Beach Continued

"Well, have you ever heard of mates?"

The word rang through my ears and my jaw dropped. I stared into his eyes, trying to gauge his reaction to mine. Obviously, he was stressed, and I wasn't helping. 

"Oh no. No, no, no." I spoke softly as my feet started backing away from him. Various scenarios started running through my mind, and feet were taking me away before I could register what was going on. Before he could grab me again, I was running. 

I listened as he struggled to get out of the sand to come after me. I half cried the same sentence another dozen times before he caught up. We were both on the pavement now, my pace refusing to slow down. Of course, that didn't bother him. He matched my sprint with ease. 

As we were running I could tell he was trying to say something, but I wasn't listening. It's not that I didn't want to, but my ears had stopped working. The last word he had spoken rang through my mind, bouncing between each ear until I was sure I wouldn't hear anything ever again. This couldn't be happening. Not to me. Not now. 

My wrist suddenly caught on something, and I realized it was his hand. He dragged it behind me, forcing me to stop running. When he twisted my arm so I would face him, I found that I suddenly had countless questions racing through my mind. 

"You've obviously heard of mates, then," he mused, breathless, when we came face to face.

"Why are you asking me?" The first question left my lips.

He shrugged, though I could tell it was a forced movement. "Just a hunch." He carefully studied my face as his words left his mouth. 

My entire body tensed. I somehow knew he was going to say something like that, but that did nothing to help my panic. My breathing was now coming out forced and erratic, sweat slowly forming on the back of my neck. When he saw my frame he tensed a bit more.

"A hunch? Are you sure?" I breathed out.

He looked startled by my question, but as the shock melted away he gave a half smile, almost laughing. "Yeah, I'm sure."

I tried to pry away my wrist from his hands, desperately wanting to be anywhere else in the world. However, he didn't budge. He didn't speak either, and he looked as if he was waiting for me to say something.

"Who are you?" My second question made itself known. 

He puffed out his chest slightly before speaking. "Samuel Clark. Beta of the Crimson Eye Pack."

My eyes widened and my word came out as a whisper. "No, you can't be him."

I knew who he was. He was ruthless. His Alpha was insane. Their pack spared nothing when it came to keeping the new order. Of every werewolf never wanted to have a conversation with, he was the first.

"Who are you?" His voice came out almost comical.

I looked him up and down, stopping for a second on his dark eyes. They corresponded with the dark color of his hair, and went perfectly with his tanned skin. I stopped my eyes there, shutting them tightly. I refused to believe this was happening.

"No," I answered his question, though not as he would have liked.

I took his surprise at my answer to my advantage and pried my hand away from his grasp. Then, I started walking away from him. I wanted to run, but my limbs were growing tired, fast. I also knew that Samuel would catch up to me, anyway.

My feet carried me in an unknown direction as my thoughts wandered. If what Samuel was saying was true, then I was screwed. There was no getting out of this town - he would make sure of that.