Chapter Fifteen - Guns

Hey people!

So we've got a loooong chapter ahead with lots of juicy stuff! Hope y'all enjoy! Don't forget to vote and comment!!

***

My mind didn't fully understand the noises until I saw a dark figure running straight for me. Panicked thoughts started coursing through me as it registered who it was barreling in my direction.

Enzo.

Without thinking, I flew over a fallen tree trunk and dove to my right, taking myself out of his line of vision. I dared a glance behind me and I caught Enzo just as he tripped over the hidden wood. My feet propelled me faster along the forest floor. I was no longer thinking about my movements but allowing my body to take control. Somehow, it knew what to do. 

Before long I heard Enzo's shouting, followed by a few others. Somewhere in my mind, it registered that he'd probably called for backup. That meant that soon enough I would have the other two running after me, plus whoever else was in on this ordeal. That is if they weren't already hiding in the woods like Enzo had done. 

My feet continued to fly as I tried to create more distance between myself and the others. I knew they were gaining on me, but I wouldn't stop. I couldn't. I couldn't allow myself to be held captive by them and risk my freedom. Though these people were human, I was slowly coming to realize that the fact meant nothing. I'd trusted Margaret and Kade, and because of that, I had three people chasing me through a forest. 

As I ran, a path stretched out before me. I made a split second decision and ignored it, diving to the right and further into the trees. They seemed to thicken with every footstep I made, making it harder and harder to push past the leaves and fallen limbs. I didn't let this deter me. I would outrun them or die trying. 

As I jumped another log I dared a glance behind me. When I did this though, my feet flew out from underneath me as they were snatched by a foreign object. I flailed desperately, kicking at anything I could land my foot on. My feet met the soft exterior of skin, telling my mind that it was a person who had pulled me to the ground. I opened my mouth to let out a scream, but a hand was quickly placed upon it. Both of my hands flew to rip off the muzzle, but before I could do any damage they were pinned behind my back. I was now laying on the ground, pinned up against whoever was holding me. I continued to struggle, refusing to acknowledge the fact that I'd been caught. It couldn't happen. Not when I'd come so close.

Tears betrayed me as they fell rapidly from my eyes. Despite the restraint, I screamed and struggled, pulling harder against the hands holding my arms and face captive. As I fought, the person rolled our bodies to the side, settling on top of my back and shoving my face into the dirt. The weight of the body held me down, pulling the breath from my lungs. I worked harder to breathe now, my body focusing on the need for oxygen that it wasn't finding on the ground. 

A voice suddenly whispered harshly into my ear. "Shut up and stay still." 

At the noise, my body went limp. I knew that voice.

I tried to twist my head to confirm my suspicions, but a hand went to my neck, shoving my face further into the earth. The next moment I heard countless footsteps coming closer to me. My eyes widened and I searched for a place to conceal my body before I realized I was already hidden. Thick bushels of leaves and moss surrounded mine and my assailant's bodies, protecting every part of us from view. 

My breathing quickened as the noises of those chasing me came closer. My mind raced with the option of letting them find me or staying with whoever held me bound. My inner battle didn't slow the world down, however, and the decision was made for me. The footsteps were upon us now, and the person on top of me sprawled across my body, knocking any remaining air from me. I half expected those chasing me to stop where I disappeared, noticing my obvious absence ahead of them. But, they kept moving. They kept running in the direction I'd been going, cursing at each other as they went. Eventually, their footsteps faded and I was left only with myself, the bushes, and my new captor.