Chapter Twenty-Eight - I Didn't Want to Freak You Out

I screamed. 

I don't know how it sounded because honestly, I could no longer hear. All of my senses were focused on what appeared to be part of a dead body lying only feet away from me. 

My legs flailed, pushing me as far away from the hand as possible. I vaguely registered Samuel helping me along the wall and calling out my name, but I didn't answer him. Then suddenly, he left my side. He'd laid the phone beside me and I grabbed it quickly, holding to the light for dear life. I followed Samuel's movements and watched as he forcefully pulled the blankets around the hand, adjusting whatever else was under the material.

When he came to sit next to me again, he rested his fingers on my arm. I didn't move. I couldn't. My eyes were still trained on the place I'd seen the gory hand and they never wanted to leave. Though I could only view the dark material of the blankets now, I knew what was underneath. Nothing could shield that, anymore. 

I suddenly felt a small pressure on my chin, pulling my face to the side. Before I knew what was happening, I was staring into the eyes of Samuel. His fingers gripped my chin, just hard enough to hold my face in place. 

"Samantha, look at me," Samuel's voice came out gently. 

I reluctantly did as I was told. My eyes stopped darting to the side but instead focused on the face before me. Familiar dark eyes, stubbled chin, wide nose. The longer I stared, the more that I surprisingly calmed down. It seemed as if focusing on Samuel's features forced my brain to think of something other than the limb hanging in my memory. 

Samuel eventually dropped his hand, but I didn't divert my gaze. I took a deep breath, searching his features for an explanation. 

"What was that?" I slowly asked, despite knowing exactly what it was I saw. Samuel closed his eyes and sighed and I somehow knew he was about to play it off. Before he got the chance to speak, I interrupted. "Don't you dare tell me it was nothing. That wasn't nothing. I'm not stupid."

He opened his eyes and let a small smile leak onto his face. "I guess I should have seen that one coming."

"Samuel," I snapped. 

He sighed, the smile disappearing as quickly as it came. "I don't know what to tell you, Samantha."

"How about you start with why there was a bloody hand under a pile of blankets?"

"I didn't want you to freak out."

"Great job you did there," I scoffed, finally breaking my gaze away. I looked down to my lap, suddenly not wanting to face the rest of the truck. We were still bouncing along the dirt road and things were continuously being thrown around. There was no guarantee the blanket hadn't shifted again. "Why are you carting dead bodies around?"

Samuel stilled, shock lining his face. He thought for a moment before painfully uttering his next words. "They're not dead, Samantha."

My expression followed his, though fear melded with my shock, as well. "What?"

He shook his head, glancing up at the spot I was avoiding. "Bray found them. Riley wants some answers."

"They're human?" I practically whispered, panic creeping up my spine. 

"Yes. But, you don't need to worry. They won't hurt you," he quickly spoke, misplacing my fears.  "Bray will take care of them when we get back."

I nodded, biting my bottom lip. It wasn't the humans I was worried about. The only thing running through my mind was the fact that if I didn't listen to Riley, the bloodied hand and unconscious body would easily be mine.