Two

Meliorn and I walked up the stairs to our apartment. "Who would be there?" he inquired, and I sighed.

"My ex-boyfriend. Mason. He's not that big of a deal. Just...be normal, okay?"

"I will try, Seelie Princess."

"And please don't call me that. Call me something normal, like...my name?" I raised my eyebrows hopefully at him. "Like Andrea, maybe, or Drew?"

"Um..." He looked uncomfortable, but let the name slip from his mouth. "Drew. Okay."

I nodded. "Nice."

We reached my apartment, and I twisted the key into the keyhole. It opened with a creak as I called out, "Mason-?"

I was cut off as Mason walked from one of the bedrooms, his arms crossed. His eyes fell on mine, and then flitted to Meliorn's, who was trying to pretend to be normal. His eyes widened, almost as wide as quarters. I scowled as he asked: "Who is-?"

"A friend." I waved away a proper response. "What are you doing here, Mason? I told you not to be here."

"I was worried about-"

"How did you know about Magnus Bane? How did you know about any that?" He spluttered and I waited until I couldn't anymore. "Tell me, Mason! Now isn't the time for all of this. Just tell me how, and tell me why, and then maybe we can move on or something..." I ran a hand through my hair, already feeling dizzy.

"I can't tell you, Andrea, I'm sorry-"

Meliorn, at the speed of light, rushed towards Mason, pushing him into a wall. I screeched, wanting to reach forward and take him off of Mason. But for some reason, the idiot only laughed. "I don't fear your kind, Meliorn. I was only trying to protect her. And I also care for her." Mason's eyes flitted towards mine.

"Excuse me?" I asked, raising a brow. "Mason, what are you?"

"Shadowhunter," he answered. "And I'm sure you know what that is. Bane told you, didn't he?"

"Shadowhunter..." I stumbled, unable to comprehend it. Meliorn gently helped me stand, his interest lost in Mason. Mason just shrugged, smirking.

"You had no business with her, Shadowhunter," Meliorn put a protective arm around my waist, helping me stand and giving me something close to comfort. I gritted my teeth, hard.

"The Seelie Queen wanted her after years of ignoring her. We were only trying to figure out why."

"The time was not right. You Shadowhunters no nothing about timing, I assume-"

"Alright, stop it!" I yelled, pulling myself away from Meliorn and into the kitchen. Mason followed me- I could tell by the thumping of his footsteps. He went to the refrigerator and grabbed me a water, twisting the cap open for me. is wiped it from his hands and took long, hearty gulps.

"Better?" he asked, like he actually cared.

"No. You should've told me." I stepped away from him as I drained the rest of my water. "You know what my real parents mean to me. I've told you that. I've told you that I wanted to find you and you knew-"

"I didn't know for a long time. Not until a few days ago."

I scowled because I could feel tears. "I asked you to go, but you can stay. I'm the one who should be going. My mother needs me, and we have things to talk about." I turned around, back towards Meliorn in the main hallway, but a sparkle in the air in front of me stopped me.

"Andrea, step away from that!" Mason tried to grab my hand, but it was Magnus who emerged out of the sparkles, giving me a smile.

"Ready to go?" He grabbed my arm and we spiraled so quickly, I barely had time to breathe.

Magnus and I tumbled into his living room, where everyone was still partying. My friends were outside, leaving, and I was about to ask about them, but Magnus quickly said, "I told them you were okay, but you were feeling sick. I asked them to call you tomorrow."

"How noble of you," I said sarcastically. "Why did you bring me back here?"

"I had to be sure you were safe." His gold eyes blazed with truth. I blinked. "I don't know what the Queen is planning, but I want to be sure you're sure before you leave."

I was about to lie, say that I was sure, but I wasn't. All I could manage was: "Thanks, Magnus." I looked away, but he held my chin.

"Sure." He smiled and stared into my eyes. I blinked, losing myself in his golden ones, as radiant as the sun.

"And you say faeries are mistrustful," I murmured. He smirked and let go of my chin.

"Please, enjoy yourself. I'll be back in a second: I'll just have to make sure a guest room is ready for you." He walked away before I could protest.