Chapter 12 ◇◇ Sailing Souls

Chapter 12- Sailing Souls

"In so many ways we're still mysteries to each other; still in the process of trying to unlock the chains of each other's mind yet mending the tattered pieces of our souls striving to make each other whole again."

Devyn's POV

"Look baby" he started as a knock sounded at my door making Dani stop whatever she was doing and my head snap towards it. "I'll see you in 'bout say an hour, I'll see ya then angel" he said before quickly hanging up.

"Who's at the door?" I asked snapping my attention away from my phone as Dani opened the door a little bit talking with her hand on her hip. I got up and walked over peeking around her head.

"Rocky" Dani looked back at me in acknowledgement and understanding backing away from the door to leave us standing opposite to each other.

"Let me take a wild guess and say Chance sent you here to get me, huh??"He replied by nodding modestly taking a moment to meet my eyes before quickly looking past me.

His refusal to meet my eyes for long or say anything should've pissed me off. The boss in me took it as disrespect but he looked a little shaken and taken off so something tells me Chance was the cause of it.

"Okay, just let me go grab my stuff." I replied to him expecting him to walk away from the door or at least say a fine or okay but he simply nodded again standing in the doorway. He placed his hands in his pockets defensively almost looking around him and his surrounding attentively.

Shaking my head and taking my attention away from him, I walked back over to my desk and grabbed my bag making sure I placed the necklace Chance gave me inside before turning to a smirking Dani.

"I see when daddy calls you go running, huh?" she waggled her eyebrows laughing purposing teasing me. I knew I wouldn't be able to make it out of here without at least one remark.

"Don't stand there looking at me, go see ya nigga. He's waiting and we both know he isn't the patient type." She dismissed me waving out the door but I didn't miss gleam of playfulness in her eyes.

"Whatever, I'll see you later." I shot back only because I didn't exactly have a comeback, she had me pinpointed.

There was no point in denying it, we both knew all things aside that man had me right where he wanted me. In the palm of his hands.

-----

The eerie quietness inside of big body of the black Cadillac Escalade ESV we were pushing was almost stifling. There was no radio playing or nothing but I guess that was how Rocky liked it.

While driving I took the opportunity to really observe his mannerisms. It was clear he had quiet demeanor but there is also a tense, rigid layer that outshined the quietness.

The farer we traveled away from the club the tighter his grip got on the stirring wheel until he suddenly relaxed but it would start over again. He had a cute baby face void of any facial hair but most wouldn't even pay much attention to it simply because his face almost has a permanent mug to it at least since I've seen him.

He had these dark brown eyes that were missing any youthful spark but that's expected considering who he works for. The streets talk so it's no secret the niggas on Chance's team were anything less than dangerous.

There was something so familiar about him though, it's kind of like déjà vu in a way. I just can't place my finger on it.

"Chance told you not to talk to me Rocky?" I asked breaking the silence between us, looking away from him out the window as the city soon was left behind replaced by the calmness of the sea and swaying of palm trees.