Treat You Better (Part 1)

You're sitting on a rock, staring out at the turquoise ocean as you let the tears run down your face for the hundredth time. You'd had a fight. Again. Honestly, he'd been treating you like shit for weeks but, you'd been sucking it up because you were sure that the cute drunk idiot you met at that bar was somewhere in there. Where ever he is, you can't find him. That version of him is gone. Replaced with some possessive, hurtful person who yells and argues with you every second of the day.

You wipe away a tear as your phone screen lights up beside you. You glance and see a message from your friend, Shawn. He's on your hometown for a tour and has come down a few days earlier. He says that he's staying in one of the bigger hotels further into the city and that he would like to treat you to dinner tonight. You want to reply saying you'd love to but you can't. You want to say that you're too emotionally drained and destroyed. That your boyfriend will just give you another earful of abuse about how much of a slut you are because you hang out with guys and how no one is going to love you because you're not worth anything. Instead, you say you'll be there in an hour and wipe your face with the sleeve of your hoodie before standing up and brushing the sand off your clothes. You take a deep breath of sea air and stand for a moment, trying to gather your thoughts. The sound of the waves crashing against the rocks is peaceful and the boats bobbing around on the ocean makes you relaxed. You consider changing out of the ripped jeans and oversized hoodie you're in but that means going home and you're not sure if your boyfriend is still there and you don't want to risk another argument. Jeans and a hoodie will have to do then.

You hop into your red Citroen and put the key in the ignition. You reverse off the grassy cliff onto the sand track and set your sat nav to the centre of the city, typing in the address Shawn texted to you.

You pull up outside the hotel and a valet wearing a red jacket offers to park your car for you. You jump out and stand in the cool city air. You stare up at the huge sky scraper that looms in front of you. You walk in trough the automatic sliding glass doors into an ornate lobby with marble pillars and gold leaf everywhere. You see Andrew standing in the lobby, he turns as he sees you and smiles before coming over and hugging you.

"Hey Y/N, sweetie how are you?"

You smile weakly and walk into his extended arms, accepting his hug.

"Is it him again?" He asks and you nod softly onto his shoulder. He sighs, you feel his shoulders sag and he rubs your back. Andrew is the dad that you never had sometimes and you tend to console in him when you're feeling down. He told you that your boyfriend was trouble from the beginning but you were sure you were in love so you went against Andrew's advice. You regret that now that you've become the person you swore you'd never be.

"Come on, honey. Shawn's in his room." Andrew guides you to the lift and presses the button. He smiles warmly at you while you fiddle with your hoodie sleeves, making sweater paws. The lift dings and the doors open, revealing a large group of smartly dressed people. The jeans and hoodie that you're wearing make you feel self conscious as the people stare you down, judging your sandy ripped jeans and your grey XXL Lakers hoodie which hangs over your hips. You stare at the floor and feel Andrew's hand pressing into your back, urging you forward. You step into the lift, staring intently the gold gilding and the mahogany panels. You sometimes forget that Shawn is famous and can afford literally anything.

Andrew presses a button, the doors close and you sigh.

"How was your day?" You ask Andrew, being polite and trying to avoid thinking about how badly your boyfriend is going to yell at you when he finds out that you're here instead of at home. Andrew begins to tell you about his day and you try and listen, watching his lips move and smiling when he tells you about something stupid that Shawn did.