Heartbreak

A few missed calls. The odd text here and there. You'd seen it coming. But it didn't stop the inevitable hurt.

"Y/N?"

Shawn sits across from you at your local coffee shop. You'd been zoning out, wondering what your life will be like now he isn't in it. His mouth was moving but you hadn't heard a word he'd been saying.

"Did you hear what I said?"

He knows you didn't, he knows you so well. Spending 2 years together does that to a couple, you learn the little things that make that person unique like when Shawn clicks his tongue when he's stressed or how he always tells you everything, announcing that he's hungry or needs the bathroom. That's just the way you two are. Were. Past tense.

You look blankly at him, feeling numb. Shawn sighs, sensing your lack of emotion. Maybe he'd expected you to cry, scream, beg. You'd just nodded when he'd said those dreaded words.

I've met someone else.

You don't blame Shawn for feeling that way, his hours are irregular and your job isn't exactly lenient about shifts so you always seemed to be missing each other, when you came home, he left and vice versa. Not to even mention his tours, months away from home, surrounded by adoring fans and beautiful people. In a way, you're surprised it didn't happen sooner, after all, he's one of the most desirable men of the year according to Cosmopolitan.

"Y/N I understand how you feel, but we've spent so much time apart and she's just been there for me."

You knew you'd lost him as soon as he'd called and said he needed to speak to you. The lack of enthusiasm in his tone didn't go unnoticed by you.

"It's fine Shawn, I want you to be happy. Besides I've met someone too." Lie. It's a lie but it helps take the guilt off Shawn, he's obviously upset with himself, but he's not to blame. You don't get to choose who you fall in and out of love with.

Shawn's eyebrows shoot up in surprise and you quickly catch yourself before he thinks you've been cheating.

"It's not a big deal, I mean we've haven't been on a date or kissed or anything."

Shawn nods, sipping his coffee and looks out of the window. One of his curls is resting on his forehead. He looks handsome and tragically sad. You hate seeing the sadness in his eyes.

"Can we still be friends?"

You nod, knowing you won't speak to him again after this. At least not for a while, it hurts too much.

"Sure."

Your heart aches as Shawn gets up from the chair and stands up, you follow, standing in front of him.

"See you soon?" He leans in to hug you and you accept his embrace, feeling the familiarity of his warm hug, the smell of his cologne. Your heart hurts even more, the tears burn at the back of your throat but you swallow them down.

"I love you, you know, always have and always will." He says softly.

"I know." You whisper quietly, savouring the moment.

"Bye Y/N."

Shawn pulls away from the hug, straightening up and you swear that you see a small tear in his eye. Maybe it hurts him more than he's letting on.

He turns around and walks out of the shop, the door swinging shut behind him. You sigh, slumping back in the chair. The tears spill down your cheeks and onto the wooden table, forming a little sad puddle.

After a few moments and some looks from the other customers, you take a deep breath and get up, wiping away the tears off your face. Standing up, you put your chin up and stroll out of the coffee shop, trying not to let the world know just how much your heart really hurts.

YOO HEARTBREAK IS THE WORST!
Q: Have you ever been in love?