High School Part 2

"Hey, you hungry? I know this great diner, it's not far from here and they do the best waffles."

You grin and nod again, as he opens the front door of his car for you. Shawn revs the engine and drives out of the parking lot. 

The diner is pretty busy when you walk in and the waitress directs you to a small booth. The couches are a pale orange with a faded yellow table. You smile as you sit down, trying not to be awkward. You pick up the menu but Shawn already tells the waitress what you'll get. 

He casually hands the menu to her ordering different meals for both of you before grinning.

You nod and she leaves. You lapse into an awkward silence as the chatter around you gets louder. You feel shy, not know what to say.

"So English class was pretty boring right?" Shawn leans back in his seat, visibly relaxed while you're chewing your fingernails, feeling anxious.

"Yeah." You nod, Shawn doesn't seem fazed by your awkwardness.

"But you know who I don't like? Mr. Fitch. He's so boring in math and he sounds like he's reciting some depressing death toll." Shawn rolls his eyes exaggeratedly and you laugh, feeling better already. Shawn exudes a relaxed vibe which makes you feel less like you're on a maybe date and more like you're just two friends, chatting and chilling together.

"I thought teachers are supposed to enjoy their subject." You reply, leaning back on the vinyl couches. 

"Yeah, I think they're supposed to but they don't. Well Mr. Fitch doesn't anyway." 

"What do you want to do after school?" 

You're assuming he'll want to play basketball. He's the captain after all.

"I'm not sure really, my Dad wants basketball and I love it but I don't know if that's what I want for the rest of my life. I really like science." His cheeks tint red and you can't help but smile at his confession. The basketball captain likes science, it's kinda cute.

"What type of science?" 

"Physics."

You screw up your nose at the thought of liking physics. Shawn chuckles, seeing your reaction.

"You look cute when you do that."

Your stomach does a little happy dance but Shawn's confession takes you by surprise. You thought he was just nice to you because you're the new girl.

"What?"

"Uh- nothing."

An arm blocks Shawn from your view as the waitress sets the drinks on the table. You let out a breath of relief. The confession made you confused.

"Here are your drinks." 

"Thanks." You both say in unison and laugh, breaking the awkward confession tension from before. The waitress rolls her eyes and walks away.

"What do you wanna do then, after school?" He leans forward and takes a sip of his drink, his pink lips puckering at the top of the straw. You look away, suddenly feeling hot under the collar.

"Um, probably something to do with English." You stir your drink with the straw, avoiding his gaze.

"Maybe if you can keep focused in class, unlike today." Shawn teases and you flush again, remembering your embarrassing call out in class for staring at Shawn instead of paying attention to the teacher. 

"Okay well that was one time and you were looking at me first." You pout. Shawn laughs and puts his hand over yours on the table.

"I was just kidding. I was looking at you because you're so god damn pretty." 

You blush so hard that you're sure your whole face is going to burn off. Shawn thinks you're pretty. You don't know whether to hide or jump up for joy. You settle on a shy smile while your stomach and heart do backflips.

"Uh- well, um thanks?" It kind of comes out like a question and you wince. 

"You're welcome." Grinning, he takes your hand and threads his fingers through yours. You catch his eyes, wanting to look away but caught under his gaze. 

"Your food."

The waitress, practically slams the food plates on the table, they clatter as they hit the surface. Obviously she's got some PDA issues.

"Oh thanks." You pull away from Shawn and smile as you delve into your waffles.

You eat the rest of the meal in casual small talk, asking about each other's family and so on. Shawn confesses that he ordered two meals so that he could try some of yours. You laughed at his honesty. You still pondered on Shawn's confession, how he said he thinks you're pretty. And how he held your hand. Your fingers still tingle from his touch. 

After arguing about who's paying for the bill for 15 minutes, Shawn takes your cash for half of the bill and rolls his eyes as you grin in victory.

You slide out of the booth and walk towards Shawn's car. He drapes his arm over your shoulder, his hand grazing your chest slightly and you blush, ducking out of his grip.

He unlocks the car doors and sits in beside you, you hesitate before turning to tell him how you feel. You know that you like him but you don't want things to move too fast.

However, your mouth is silenced before it can say a word, Shawn's lips press against yours. His hand comes up to cup your cheek, his thumb rubbing against your skin and you savour the feeling of his soft lips. Okay so much for moving slow.

As he pulls away, he grins, putting the car in gear and driving out of the parking lot.

"I've been waiting a while to do that." He smirks and you sit quietly, smiling to yourself.

As he pulls into your driveway, he takes your hand again and kisses it gently. 

"See you tomorrow?" Shawn asks and you nod, unable to form words at his open displays of affection.

You slide out of the passenger seat and Shawn leans over just as you're about to close the door.

"By the way, check your pocket." You frown, digging your hands into your jeans. Shawn grins but shakes his head, closing the door and reversing.

You watch him, confused by what he said. He catches your eye and points to your chest. You have a pocket on your shirt so you put your hand in it.

Inside is your cash and a note with his number on it.

Your belly just somersaulted for the 100th time today as you wave Shawn off, suddenly excited for the prospect of school tomorrow.

LOOOL this was shit sorry guys, I've been busy with a new story and kind of forgot about this one!- V xo