Romantic Poetry

His POV:

I strum on the guitar, trying to work out which chords sound good together. I have majority of the lyrics down but now I'm trying to figure out the tune.

Y/N helped me with the lyrics although she'll never know that she's the inspiration behind them. I'd never tell her either, she doesn't need that on her conscience when she's happy with someone else. But, I love her. So this is the price I pay for happiness, friendship over relationship.

Her boyfriend treats her well of course, he's a good guy. They're happy. It makes me happy that she's so much brighter when he's around but, it also breaks my heart because I know that I could make her happy too.

She had sat in the soft leather chair next to me in my small spare bedroom, ranting about some girl in her class who keeps pretending she's dumb for attention. I listened and laughed along with her, cherishing her every word as she acted out the scenario. She would frown whenever she caught me just smiling at her and she scolded me for not listening.

It was only playful though, she'd promised to help me with some lyrics I'd been stuck on. She's no musician, although she can sing and play a little, she has no idea how to write music. However, she loves poetry and she says it works the same way.

So, after a lot of brainstorming, we came up with a good chunk of a verse that I can work with and a chorus.

Y/N and I have been friends for a while, we met through kids from school and although we never really hung out except for when we were with other friends, she and I became close. Little did I know that I was falling for her. With her soft giggles when someone does something funny, the way she runs her hand through her hair when it falls in her face and the way she bites her lip when she's nervous or frustrated, how could I resist? I was weak, helpless, at her mercy.

I strum an E major and jot it down in my notebook next to the many scribbles on the page. Y/N doodled on the corner of the page while I tuned my guitar. She'd drawn little hearts with stars around them and random swirls. I would definitely be keeping this notebook. She's touched it and drawn something adorable. It's worth it's weight in gold now.

I play two chords together and begin to sing the chorus of the lyrics that Y/N wrote. She was convinced that they sucked but I kinda like them.

There is no antidote for this heart ache. I've got to do this on my own, and pretend that I'm okay.

When really all I want is to kiss your lips and hear the words I need you to say.

Feel the warmth of your breath, run my hands through your soft hair.

But he'll know when I've touched your skin and left my marks there.