06

Chapter 6: Where He Tries
"In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can"
-Nikos Kazantzakis

As soon as the bell rang, Peter leaped off his seat and ran like there was no tomorrow until he got out of school

As soon as the bell rang, Peter leaped off his seat and ran like there was no tomorrow until he got out of school. Finally, studying was done and hero time began. He jumped over the fence, once he made sure no one was watching, and made his way towards the best sandwiches in Queens.

"What's up, Mr Delmar" Peter greeted once he got to the establishment .

"Hey, Mr Parker. Number five, right " answered the owner as the boy grabbed some candy and threw them to the counter.

"Yeah, with pickles and can you squeeze it down real flat? Thanks" he asked to the man who went to make his usual order.

"How's your aunt?" asked Mr. Delmar.

"Yeah, she's alright" answered Peter flinching uncomfortably. He knew where the hispanic man was going and he didn't like it at all.

"La tía de este es una italiana que está buenísima!" explained the man behind the counter to his partner not realizing the younger boy understood him perfectly.

"Como esta tu hija, eh?" Peter asked smugly, making the smile from the man's face morph into a frown.

"Ten dollars" grunted Mr. Delmar, glaring daggers at Peter.

"It's five dollars" Peter argued pointing at the sign above his head, an amused smile adorning his face.

"For that comment ten dollars"

"Hey, come on. I'm joking" the young boy said, grabbing his money and offering to the man "Here's five dollars"

Once the man took the money, Peter moved to greet the sleepy cat laying on the counter, until his gaze moved to the window. He could see two familiar figures walking in the street, he watched as the blonde girl threw her head back and laughed at something her companion said. Peter smiled at the sight without even realizing it, his cheeks tainted red at the sight of the blonde beauty, that was Ember Snow. He snapped out of his daydream at the sound of Delmar's voice.

"How's school?" the man asked watching the boy's longing stare with a knowing look.

"Uh, you know boring" Peter answered after clearing his throat, scratching his neck nervously. "I've got better things to do"

"Stay in school kid, otherwise you are gonna end up like me" Delmar advised, handing Peter his sandwich.

"This looks great" Peter said looking around the local.