28

Chapter 28: It's Complicated

"Why'd you have to go
and make things so complicated?"
- Avril Lavigne

"Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?"- Avril Lavigne

'He likes you, you like him'

Liz' words rang through her head as the two girls made their way downstairs to meet their dates.  Ember would be stupid if she didn't believe Peter Parker could like her at this point, all the signs were there but somehow she had managed to convince herself that perhaps he didn't like her the same way she liked him. Cause Ember Snow really, really, liked him no matter how much she tried to deny it she knew she was very fond of the boy.

Then why was it so complicated? The answer was simple, relationships weren't as black and white as Liz had made it seemed. There was more to a relationship than just mere attraction. Trust being a pretty big deal breaker.

Peter Parker broke her trust. He kept things, important things from her. But then again, she did too. Ember never told him about being Ice Sorceress, she tried to that one night in his room but he stopped her. Because Peter already knew and he didn't care about her version. He found out the truth and just like that he pushed her away.  Why was she supposed to put that behind them like it was nothing? Like it didn't hurt her. Truth was Peter Parker broke Ember Snow's heart that night and even if he was trying to rebuilt it, maybe it wasn't that simple. It was complicated.

But maybe Ember didn't want it to be complicated. Maybe it was time for her to take a leap of faith, for once maybe she should do what she wants. Live the moment, forget the past, and just see what the future holds.

"You look beautiful." Mr. Toomes' voice broke her out of her thoughts as they walked into the kitchen. Ember hadn't even realized they had made it to the first floor.

"Please don't embarrass me, Dad." Liz blushed at the compliment.

"Doesn't she, Pete?" Toomes asked the boy, who barely spared a look to the girl as he nervously played with the box on his hands.

"Yeah, you look really good." He muttered, his voice barely above a whisper. Ember frowned at how nervous he looked, he kept staring at Liz' dad like he had just seen a ghost.

"Whats wrong with him?" Ember whispered to Ned, once she reached his side but he only shrugged in response.

"Is that a corsage?" Liz asked trying to gain Peter's attention but Peter only shoved the box onto her hands still staring at Adrian.
"Thanks." Liz turned to give Ember a what the hell look but the blonde was just as lost.

"Well, hey, I'm your chauffeur,
so let's get this show on the road." Mr. Toomes said.

"No, no, no, we have to take
some pictures, babe." Doris jumped in, quickly grabbing her camera. "All right. Let's do couples first and then some group ones." She said, turning to her embarrassed daughter first "Come on, you guys.
Peter, closer. Smile."