07

Chapter 7: Where She Doesn't Know What Hit Her

"For a hero is someone who is selfless. Think about it, friends. Superman, Luke Skywalker, and Captain America. They are helping others. They aren't only thinking fro themselves. They are reaching out beyond themselves."
- Mark Andrew Poe

The next morning Ember overslept, since her argument with Spider-Man last night, it was clear that there was no need for her to meet him for training

The next morning Ember overslept, since her argument with Spider-Man last night, it was clear that there was no need for her to meet him for training. Either way he hadn't show up for the past two months, so what where the odds of him showing up today? Ember had hit the snooze button about four times now, she wanted to delay talking to her father for as long as possible, yet this was proven impossible when she heard his voice from the other side of the door.

"Ember, come on breakfast is almost ready" Carter announced while knocking on the white door before making his way back to the kitchen.

With an annoyed groan Ember rolled herself out of her comfy bed and made her way to the bathroom, getting ready for her dreadful day. After a quick shower she got dressed on warm clothes, it was a cold morning and for some reason she always felt cold as Ember, while her alter ego remained unbothered by low temperatures. After realizing she couldn't stall any longer she grabbed her backpack and went to the other room with a growling stomach.

She was met by the sight of her father dancing around the kitchen with a pink flowered apron, that belonged to Angela and using the whipped cream as his microphone while singing to Bruno Mars. It was a fun but not entirely rare sight, this was normal for the most part at the Snow household, except that there was usually a giggling Angela dancing around too. What made this odd for Ember was that she was expecting a scolding from her father not smiley pancakes and Carter's off key singing.

"There you are, princess!" Carter greeted cheerfully, once he noticed his daughter standing by the corner, looking very confused "Well, come on then, dig in" he continued, taking a seat and inviting the girl to do so.

"Where's Angie?" Ember asked cautiously, grabbing some bacon.

"She left early to the market" answered the man, still devouring his breakfast.

Ember was very confused now, he was acting like nothing happened yesterday and while she was perfectly fine with that, it was a bit out of character "Are we going to talk about it or..." she mumbled, avoiding her father's eye.

Carter sighed, finally putting his fork down and looking at his daughter seriously, "Look Ember, it's not that I don't think you can handle it, cause I know you can. You are strong and smart and kind, you are just like your grandmother," Carter stopped for a second trying to recollect himself at the thought of his mother "you are a hero. But before all that you're my baby girl and I can't lose you" he paused, his daughter finally meeting his eyes for the first time. She noticed the dark bags under his eyes and the worries that he attempted to cover with a smile "I know there's nothing I can do to stop you from being a hero, and I don't ever want you to think I would change anything about you. You're caring and you always put others before yourself and I love that. But I need you to promise you'll be careful. I don't want you to get hurt, Em. I don't want to lose my princess too."