Chapter Eight

I fell back on the ground, breathing hard. I grasped the grass underneath me. I was so glad that I could feel it.

"Get her to the infirmary" I heard someone yell. I was lifted into someone's arms.

"She's awake" I heard the familiar voice. I lifted my hand and I put it on the person carrying me. I could feel their heartbeat. I started to cry for some reason.

It was an overwhelming feeling that I couldn't control.

I was laid onto something soft and I couldn't let go.

"Iris" Byron whispered in my ear.

"I'm alive" I replied.

"Yes" he breathed in my ear. "You are okay....let me go"

He pried my hands off of him. I fell back. Something was thrusted into my mouth. My head was tilted back and I was out.

            I had a dreamless sleep. It was nice and relaxing. I was glad that I didn't dream about Dr. Nan's gift.

When I woke up, Ezra and Thomas were with me. It looked like they had pulled some comfortable arm chairs into the infirmary. My curtain was slightly drawn but I could hear Nurse Gail.

"Her hand was severely burned, Dr. Nan" she scolded. I could hear the displeasure in her voice. I could see her short curly blonde hair.

I lifted my hand, surprised. It was bandaged thickly. I tried to move my fingers but I wouldn't be able to with the thick lining.

"She got scared" Dr. Nan replied. I couldn't see him but I could make out his shape. "It was a defense mechanism"

"I don't care" Nurse Gail raised her voice. "I do not want a half dead Guardian in my infirmary ever again"

"She wasn't near death" Rima replied. "She had a shock"

"You know how I feel about you using your ability with the students" Nurse Gail was almost yelling.

"Gail...shhh" Rima quieted her.

"Gail" I could make out the Headmistress voice. "Calm down, you'll wake them up"

Nurse Gail breathed heavily.

"It was a training tool" Dr. Nan replied.

"She reacted well" I heard Rupert.

I rolled my eyes.

"Half the west wing was almost burned down" Dr. Langston chuckled. I couldn't believe he was laughing. "We knew it was expected. Nobody has ever reacted differently"

"I wasn't expecting anything different. George did burn down half the forest. She did great"

"Dear..." Nurse Gail huffed. "I have seen too many things, I want nothing to do with your training tools. They are too young.....cutting someone sensations is not a pleasant way to die"

"You know perfectly well that my gift doesn't cause them to die. They drive themselves with madness that leads to their death"

"Nevertheless" Nurse Gail took a deep breath. "I do not want to see that again. I warned  you the last time you used it on George. He would be furious and so would her mother. I do not want to hear Andrea"

"She was aware" Rupert replied quickly. "She knew of the consequences and she agreed"

Nurse Gail stalked off. I could hear heals leaving.

"I'll speak with her" the Headmistress shook her head. I heard her heels as she went after her.

"I think it went rather well" Rupert cleared his throat. "I was a little shocked though"