Chapter Twenty-Three

Two weeks passed by and I didn't see Byron at all unless it was during training sessions and afterwards I hurried away to the library or to a study room. I was starting to lose my appetite and I wasn't sleeping very much.

"Eat" Byron sat down next to me during breakfast. The Rank was tomorrow morning. "Iris don't do this to yourself again"

"I can't taste the food" I pushed the loaded plate away. Ezra and Thomas were both eating heavy meals.

"I will force feed you Iris" Byron sounded annoyed. "Eat something- have you slept at all?" he peered at my face. I had dark bags under my eyes.

"How were finals?" he asked, he was searching my eyes.

"Fine- grades will be posted later today." Ezra yawned. "You should eat Iris and then go sleep. You need to be ready for tomorrow morning"

"I can't sleep- I just need to get the Rank over with." I rubbed my temples. I saw Byron serving me some juice. I shook my head. The last time he had to drug me to sleep. Ezra chuckled and he handed me a different cup.

I woke up in my bed. I fell backwards. They had found away to drug me, again. They were finding trickier ways of giving the sleeping potion. I turned and lifted my phone from the dresser. It was 8 pm.

I would have be up less than 12 hours. My stomach clenched at the idea of having to match the same girl that had beat me up badly the last time.

I turned to my side.

Ares opened his eyes and he gave me a dirty look.

He thought I was being annoying. He lifted his head, yawned and he curled up.

I brushed my fingers against his back trying to soothe myself. I took a deep breath and I curled up on my side.

I ended up falling asleep but I woke up again before 7. I sat up in bed, knowing that the boys would come up to wake me up any second

Byron would probably come up too.

I took a quick shower. I had my gear in my closet so I started to get dressed.

There was a soft knock on my door.

"Come in" I called. Byron entered closing the door behind him.

"I thought I was going to have to drag you out of bed" Byron laughed. He reached over and kissed my lips gently.

"Ugh" I reached over so he could hug me. He wrapped his arms around me. "What's going to happen if I don't" I couldn't even say it out loud. I was scared that I would fail that the last couples of months of hard work would be a waste.

I pressed my head against his chest.

"Byron"

He held me tightly against him.

"You will do great. I know you will stop doubting yourself so much, Iris" he was squeezing tightly against him so I couldn't respond. I settled on making a face against his chest.

I felt his hand on my head.

He finally released me.

"You are going to stay the entire time right?" the last time he had left during the first couple minutes of my match.

"I won't leave this time" he kissed my forehead. "Do you need help getting ready?" he looked over my shoulder. I still had to tie my plates on.

"Yeah, you can help" he helped me finish up. "Come on let's go get breakfast. You need to eat something"

"I don't feel like eating" I replied. My stomach was clenching up. I wasn't going to stomach any food not until it was over.

"You can do this" Ezra rubbed my shoulders. I nodded in response. I felt like if I was going to be sick. I wanted to throw up.

"Kick her ass" Thomas tapped my face. "We will be watching from the side"

"I know" I took a deep breath. I hugged the boys quickly. I stepped onto the mat.

She eyed me with a smirk on her face.

Out the corner of my eye, Byron came in. He lifted his hand at me. He gave me a thumbs up.

I merely nodded in response.

Jordan lifted an eyebrow at me. She thought she was going to win.

I took a deep breath and I pushed my nervousness and anxiety away. I was not going to let her win. I was going to push her to her limits.

"Ladies bow to each other"

I didn't lift my eyes from her as I bowed, she didn't either. Her eyes didn't blink away from me.

"Clean fight ladies" he backed away to the edge of the mat. The bell sounded off.

I took a deep breath and I stepped forward lifting my sword.

She swung her sword hard at me. I blocked her. I knew I could accumulate points easily if I kept blocking her.

I had to finish the match as quickly as possible and with the highest points possible. I needed to make sure I Ranked first and that meant finish the match in under 10 minutes.

I could hear Ezra yelling but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

I side-stepped her avoiding her sword.

I stayed a few feet away from her. I blocked her sword and I jammed my elbow in her face. She fell stumbled backwards nearly dropping her blade. I took the opportunity and I managed to get the tip of my blade to slice her side.

She lifted her eyes angrily at me.

She swung her sword and I stepped in closer. I ducked and struck her arm hard. I managed to catch myself and jump back to my feet.

I could hear her breathing hard and I bit my lip back.

"Come on" I breathed. Her eyes flickered upward. "Is that it?"

She held her arm close to her as she lifted her sword with her other hand. I wasn't sure how much time I had left but the match wasn't going to last much longer. I moved quickly around her, striking her armour. I could her the bell going off in my favor. She was slowing down, she was breathing much harder.

I switched hands and I punched her in the face. She stumbled back, I switched my sword to my dominant hand and I rammed myself into her. I sliced her side, it would be a deep wound. I stepped backwards as she fell on her knees. I lifted the hilt of my sword and I brought it down hard on her shoulder blades. She fell forwards, face first.

I was breathing hard. I could hear Ezra and Thomas yelling at the top of their lungs. The commentator was saying something on the loudspeaker.

I held my hand out to Jordan.

"Come on" I got on my knees and I took her arm, wrapping it around my shoulder. The healers were making their way to us. Holding onto her, I led her to them.

"Thanks" she mumbled not looking at me. The healers took her away from me. She turned and looked over her shoulder. "I'm sorry about the last match, Iris." She apologized. I felt arms around me and I was being lifted into the air.

"You Ranked—you Ranked" Ezra roared.

He almost dropped me as Thomas tried to hug me. I hugged both thte boys.

"That was a six minute match- you won by a minute and 30 seconds" Thomas voice was hoarse as he yelled. "And you won extra points for sportsmanship."

I let out a disbelieving laugh. I let the boys engulf me in their arms. I peered over Ezra's shoulder. Byron was smiling at me.

I released him and I ran to Byron. I threw myself at him.

"Thank you- thank you" I hugged him tightly. "I'm so glad you are my instructor" I lifted my hands above my hand, yelling at the top of my lungs. Byron put me back down.

"Now let's go celebrate" I told the boys, excited. I was now looking forward to the Ball.