Chapter Twenty-Five

I woke up yelling. I opened my eyes and glanced around the room. I could still see the bright blue in my head. It reminded me of the siren fire.

I felt around the bed. Ares was perched on my bed, staring down at me. His eyes were glowing red.

"Don't do that" I fell back onto my pillow. "Are you trying to scare me Ares?" I touched my shirt. It was soaking wet.

I had a nightmare. I never got nightmares. Ares sang softly.

"It was blue- almost like that blue fire I saw earlier" I answered his questions. He wanted to know what was wrong. "It was weird" I yawned. Ares hopped onto my stomach lightly. He was telling me not to worry.

"I know" I rubbed his head. "just don't do that- you used to do that when I was little" I twirled one of his feathers around my finger. He chirped in response. I fell asleep with his feather in between my fingers. It was comforting and soothing that he was next to me.

            The next morning, I couldn't stop thinking about the Siren fire. Ares kept telling me to forget about it but it was hard. I felt like if it was engraved in my head.

I kept turning to look at the glass wall behind me. I heard Ares nearby and I searched around for him.

He could not be seen. I searched the dining hall for him.

"What is Ares doing?" Ezra whispered next to me. He pointed at the window. He was perched on one of the branches. He was waving his tail around.

"Trying to get my attention" I shrugged. "I'll be right back" I told the boys quickly. I went outside quickly.

I saw Ares right away. He was perched on the branch. I looked around, I noticed Byron poke his head out from behind the street. I cautiously made my way over.

"What are you doing?" I whispered. Byron pulled me in front of him. He kissed me briefly. "I am leaving for London in a few hours. I will see you at this restaurant" he put a card in my hand. "at eight pm okay"

"Sure" I grinned. I leaned up on my toes and quickly kissed him. "I'll see you then- if anything changes let Ares know." He gave me a confused look. I couldn't help laughing at him. "You'll know how" I backed away quickly from him. I put the card in my jacket and tried to quickly make my ways back inside. There were quite a few feet of snow on the ground. Ares disappeared into the woods as soon as I was inside.

Ares let out a tired sound. He was nearing his rebirth phase. I just hoped that he didn't burn the place down when it happened within the next few days.

I stomped my way towards the dining hall trying to shake off the snow off my shoes. Ezra and Thomas were making their way over to me.

"Where'd you go? Rima has to see us" Ezra had a slip of paper in his hand.

"On a Sunday" I lowered my voice not wanting to be overhead. "Ares is getting near his rebirth guys, he isn't feeling well."

"Are we supposed to do something?" Thomas looked concerned. "Let's go meet with Rima and we'll head to the library."

"My grandmother said not to worry when it happens but he's a Phoenix." I bit my lip back. I should have asked my grandmother about what to do. I didn't want to leave him alone.

            "So" Rima glanced at us over a folder she was holding up. "The first two quarters are over- there are two more. You have all done very well" she smiled putting the folder down. "I am pleased to tell you Iris, you are off probation."

I sighed with relief. I had been expecting some kind of trouble.

"All your professors indicate that you are all doing well" she continued. She signaled at the three thick folders on her desk. "I will see you in two weeks. Enjoy your vacation time. The train leaves for London at four. Make sure you catch it back tomorrow night. Congratulations" she grinned proudly at us.