Chapter Twenty

During the next couple of weeks, I was able to progress quickly. Holding matches against the Guard members was extremely useful. I was especially grateful for Michael who was actually very nice. I liked training with him. He gave me useful advice and he didn't mind helping me whenever I needed it.

"Try this" Michael grabbed my hips and he turned me slightly. He lifted my arm so I was holding my blade out in front of me. It was oriented out across my chest. I met his eyes and he smiled.

I cleared my throat.

"Hold your position" his fingers brushed my skin. My eyes flickered over to him again. He was picking up his sword.

Byron was across the gym working with Ezra and with Drew.

Michael lifted his sword and he brought it down hard. I gripped the swords' hilt with both hands.

"Good" Michael breathed. "Stay on the balls of your feet, don't let me" he forced his sword downward. I stayed rooted to my spot, gritting my teeth.

"Hold it" his eyes met mine. "I'm going to lift up my sword and I'm going to bring it down hard. Stay in your spot" he lifted it and his sword came down hard. My hands were shaking, trying to keep the blade away from my face.

"One more time" he repeated it. "I'm going to do it again and this time I want you to strike. I want you to knock the sword out of my hand." he walked me step by step. We repeated it until I was able to do the exercise correctly.

            I swung my sword upward and I shifted to my toes. I turned to my side and I retaliated. I was able to avoid the edge of his blade.

"Good" he huffed. He wiped his face. "Very good"

"Good Job Burke" Byron called from the side, he was the only one clapping. "One more time" Byron called from the side.

Michael smiled slightly and he attacked.

            "You are doing great" Michael sat down next to me. I took a large swig of water before responding.

"Thank you" I couldn't help smiling at him. "I'm glad you are here to help me"I tried to keep any type of double meaning out of my tone. He nudged me with his elbow.

"It is nothing at all- this is a good opportunity for me too. I get to keep working out and it will make a good impression on my Guardian Charles."

"Oh I thought Ronald was your Guardian"

"I got recruited into Charles Guard, have you met him? Ronald is at his max amount of Guards that can leave during anytime."

"No I haven't met him. I've only spoken to Ronald a couple of times" I smiled at him. I didn't want him to think there was something else going on. He wasn't allowed to know that I was a Guardian.

"Alright" Byron called. There were some sheets of parchment in Byron's hand. "I have the next list of Rank matches" he waved them at us.

"Oh great" I got to my feet. Michael laughed. He put his arm around me.

"Take it easy, it won't be so bad this time. You are doing great, you are improving quickly" Michael pulled me in close to him. I could feel my face starting to heat up. I glanced at Byron, he was glaring at Michael.

He thrusted a paper in my direction. I gave him a dirty look but I took it from him.  I was up against the same girl. I snapped my teeth.

"Damn it" I shook my head. "I'm up against Jordan again"

Michael looked over my shoulder.

"You can take her down easily" Michael draped his arm over my shoulder. I squirmed trying to not look at anybody. My face was probably tomato red right now.