Chapter Thirty

I thought breaking up with Byron would have been better for me. I was wrong. I was annoyed and angry with myself.

I kept wanting to tell him that I had been silly but I knew that I wasn't. I didn't want to be the kind of girl that got constantly played. It wouldn't' just be dinner and I didn't want to wait around for something to happen. It was better for me to end it before he cheated on me.

"What's wrong?" Ezra asked me. "You have been moody all week"

"Nothing just tired" I smiled. Byron had just walked in. He glanced at me once and I made a face at my dinner. "We should go out this weekend" I suggested to the boys. Their eyebrows shot up. "Let's do something fun. Brenda said that there will be a party on Saturday night in one of the basements. We should go"

They looked at each other. They were confused by my attitude. I didn't want to mope around and think about Shelby and Byron together. It only irritated me more.

"Sure" Thomas searched my eyes. "Are you sick?"

"No" I leaned back. He wanted to touch my forehead. "I just want some fun- for a change."

On Saturday morning we met up with Rupert for some practice.

"Alright" Rupert motioned for us to take a seat. "So todays' lesson is for you to start practicing to form the Mental Link"

"Yes" Ezra sat down impatiently. He pulled the chairs near him so we could get started.

"Close your eyes" Rupert told us. "Empty your mind" I rubbed my hands on my skirt. "Breathe in and out, steadily." His voice was soft and comforting. "Clear your mind from all worries. Thoughts. Whatever is bothering you let it go"

    Byron's face popped in my head and I scowled at the ceiling. I took a deep breath and pushed everything out.

"Concentrate on your breathing, in and out. Slow and steady" I could hear him walking around. I concentrated on my breathing. He remained quiet for a few more minutes. "Now think about something that reminds you of each other. It can be anything- it has to clearly represent them"

Thomas face popped in my head.

"A physical quality- something that will stay engraved in your head when you think of them." I thought about his gentle brown eyes. they made you feel safe and like he could be the only person you could trust in the world. I thought of Ezra, next. His silly smile that was slightly lop-sided.

"This is going to be the hardest part, picture yourself together. It can be anything- a situation where you guys were together. Where you found your friendship"

I instantly thought about that night in the infirmary. They had spent it with me, they had refused to leave my side.

"Expand your mind. Listen to each others' breathing"

I listened to their breathing. It was soft and shallow.

A few minutes passed by. I opened an eye and turned to the boys. Ezra's eyes were open.

"Close your eyes and concentrate" Rupert snapped. I shut my eyes tightly. I was now too distracted to concentrate.

"Concentrate on each other's breathing"

We spent the next half an hour or so concentrating but it was difficult since I was sure that Ezra wasn't either. I was too distracted.

"For next Saturday I want you breathing in sync. Practice during the week. You should all be guessing each other's thoughts" Rupert glared at us. He dismissed us. I had a small throbbing headache.