Chapter 6 - History

I didn't know why I was sitting on the classroom floor, or why I wouldn't get up. My name would already be on everyone's tongue today, leaving from mouth to mouth in a string of gossip and stories, humiliating me enough already without having students enter this classroom to see me slumped against a wall in a show of defeat and weakness. I was going to stand when the door opened, and I looked up quickly, my heart beating in my throat.

But it was only Mr. Gallagher, and he entered the room to stand tall over me. "I brought you coffee," he murmured. "Your friend said it would help."

"Thanks," I smiled softly, reaching my hand out to take it, but he took it firmly into his palm and gently brought me to my feet. It was only when I was standing and brushing the dirt off my skirt that he handed me the coffee.

I took it eagerly, pressing the cup to my lips and drinking so that the hot liquid almost burnt my tongue. I didn't care. It was comforting and familiar.
"Thank you. So much," I spoke.

He had been watching me intently as I sipped, making it difficult for me to think. At my words, he only gave a tight nod, his lips remaining a thin line of silence. What was bothering him? Was it me?

"I'm sorry," I began. "I'm holding up class. I should-"

"You're not," he cut me off gently, his calm blue eyes softening suddenly. "I sent you here on purpose, thinking you could calm down before class. Take your time. I also need to ask you a few questions."

"Okay. Ask me."

"First off, for my own personal curiosity, how are you so composed right now?"

I let out a forced laugh. "I'm not. I'm screaming on the inside."

He shook his head to himself, the muscles in his body growing beautifully tense as he crossed his arms. "You're too mature for your age."

"I'm turning eighteen, Mr. Gallagher. I'm not a child."

"No," he said. "No, you're not. But you're a nice and quiet young woman who didn't deserve to be humiliated like that. It makes me mad just thinking about it, so I don't understand how calm you are."

My thinly formed control started to slip away, the mixture of his words and the concern in his eyes coming to etch away at me.

"Shhh," I said forcefully, shaking my head. "You're going to make me cry and I've been doing well until now."

"Me?" He smiled softly, his eyes taken aback. "It takes me to make you cry?"

"I don't know why, but yes."

"Take off your glasses," he whispered. I did as he asked, removing them to hold them between my fingers. My breath caught in my throat when he moved, and I felt the entirety of my skin come under flames when he wiped the moisture from my cheeks with the tips of his fingers.

He hadn't moved much closer to me, extending his arm to touch me, but my heart responded with a jerk.

"Thank you," I managed to croak.

He nodded. "I have one other question."

"Hmm?"

"What's your history with Dean Costa?" He walked away to lean against his desk, crossing his ankles in front of his long body.

"Well, he's my brother's best friend. I don't think my brother was here because he was sleeping when I was getting ready this morning, and I didn't see him at lunch..." I trailed off when he shook his head.

"I don't mean that. I mean personally."

"Oh, nothing," I answered, feeling a blush spread over my cheekbones. "A year ago, he asked me out. It was probably to tease me or to fulfill one of those dares of his, but I said no. Ever since then he's bothered me in whatever way he can, but never like this."

I did not want to dwell on what had happened only minutes ago. I had to reserve the breakdown for when I made it safely home. With this in mind, I took my bookbag from the floor and began walking to my desk.

"I can assure you," he said smoothly behind me, "that he wasn't teasing."

My attention went to him, and I found myself cursing inwardly. His eyes had a way of muddling my thoughts and making me stand like a deer in headlights, captivated and frozen.

"Okay," was all I could dumbly say. "It doesn't matter anyway. If he had been serious I still never wanted to... have him like me. No."

He nodded once. Then he stood from where he had leaned and walked the short distance to me, placing his hand on the wood of my desk, the object that separated him from me.

"We have no proof," he began. "He says he didn't do it and no one has said that they saw him. We have no cameras in the hallways, or anywhere in the school. I'm going to have to ask you to be careful around him, Cece."

I nodded. "Of course. But he's harmless-"

"Doesn't matter," he cut me off.

"Alright then."

There came a moment of silence in the safe distance between us. I stood there waiting, caught by his eyes, until he looked away and started walking to the door.

"You seem okay. I'm going to start classes now," he told me. I nodded and slid into my chair.