Chapter 32 - Letters

I was at the library after dismissal, preparing some copies of guides I had made for tutoring. I planned on taking them to him for review, but I knew he would want to use them. They were very well done, if I was honest, and covered every topic we had touched upon last semester. It was now our final one, and we would mostly be reviewing for exams.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, and I looked down to notice it was a text message from Chad. He wanted to talk. I had been avoiding him. It was still difficult talking to him without having my insides twist in something very much like pain. I wanted badly to push the pain away and be done with it, to extend to him the same courtesy he hadn't given me, but it was difficult to. I felt betrayed.

I took the copies and texted him back, telling him where to find me. It would be best to just get this out of the way.

He was waiting outside the library when I exited the doors. The halls were clear now, since any students that might linger around campus tended usually to be outside its walls by the benches.

"Did you need something?" I asked him.

"You've been avoiding me, and I get it. I do. I just need to tell you, Cece. I'm sorry."

I nodded. "I know."

He looked at me carefully, trying to read my face. "You're not buying it."

"You're my twin brother, Chad. There was a time, you know, before mom and dad died, that we were close. But I don't think you can read me anymore. I'm over it, I am. So don't worry about it."

He shook his head, hurt taunting his eyes. "Can we sit down?"

"Why? I'm a little busy, Chad. I have to get a few things done before I can head home."

"Do you need me to stick around to give you a ride back?"

I cleared my throat. "No. No, I can get a ride back."

"I'm so sorry, Cece. I was an idiot. I thought he was my best friend and I was blind. Going against him could've cost me my team, everything I built myself around after-after... I shouldn't have been so stupid, but I've never been so strong as you or Bran. None of it matters anymore."

"Mom and dad always told us we had an advantage, that being born together made us inseparable. To stick together always. I tried talking to you. You didn't want to listen. You chose a friend over me, your sister, and it tore me up. I need to heal, and it's going to take a while, Chad, so just give me some space. I've got to go," I said, walking away from him.

I entered the ladies' room, pressed some water on the sides of my neck. A glance at the time told me it had only been fifteen minutes since dismissal.

I exited, looking around for any signs of Chad, and breathed a sigh of relief to see him gone. It made my heart clench to think that it took seeing me beaten and bruised for him to feel for me, but he was sorry... I could feel it. Nonetheless I needed the space I had mentioned.

I walked quickly to his classroom, my heart beginning it's usual crescendo as I neared. Then I noticed his classroom door held wide open by a stopper, and wondered if he had left for a moment.

Once I was close enough I could hear his voice, meaning he was not alone, sporting a tone of expertly restrained annoyance.

I looked inside and the picture made perfect sense. He was by the door, Brianne Mendez blocking his exit with her body. It was still the high point of winter, but she wore a slim fitting dress, thin leggings, and heeled boots that didn't seem to do much to combat the snow or low temperatures. Then there were her beautiful long black locks, effortlessly tan skin, and superbly curved body, a lilt in her voice when she spoke.

"You sure you don't offer individual tutoring sessions? I focus best that way, since I can get a bit distracted. And with the final exam coming up..."

I knew it was wrong to have blood rush up my chest and over my face. I leaned against the door frame, my copies in hand, and waited.

"I am sure," he replied, and a subtle smirk played with his mouth. He knew I was there.

I cleared my throat. "I have your copies here."

The girl whirled around, disappointment in her face, and plastered a smile when she saw me.

"Hi, Cece. I was just leaving."

"Hi, Brianne. Are you staying for tutoring tomorrow?"

She nodded. "Yeah, AP testing is around the corner. Still can't master those longer analyses. I'll see you there."

"Sounds good," I smiled, then I turned my face to him when she was gone. "The copies. They're guides for this semester."

He was grinning at me now, his hands in his pockets as he surveyed my lips.

"Thank you for the rescue."

"It wasn't a rescue. I did have copies."

He angled his head slightly to the side as he watched me. "You're jealous."

"No." But my cheeks were red, giving me away.

He softened, giving me that perfectly gentle smile. "You have no reason to be. I only have eyes for you, Celia. It's like you've done something to me."

"Shut up," I whispered, but my lips were turning up in a smile.

He was chuckling softly under his breath, then he took my copies and placed them on his desk. "I'm sure they're perfect. We'll use them tomorrow."

With a soft hand on my elbow he led me out the door. "You don't want to check them through?"

"No. I want to take you out for a coffee."

I blushed again, wishing I could take his hand into mine. But we were on school grounds still. He was parking farther now, practicing extra precaution even if nothing had changed. We were still professional on these school grounds, with only our wandering eyes to serve as evidence of what had changed between us. We entered his car, and he took my hand to settle it over the console, running his fingers over my knuckles. He lifted them to kiss as he drove further away.

"Jamie."

"Celia."

"I got my letters from Harvard and Yale. I haven't opened them yet."

He turned quickly in my direction. "Why haven't you opened them?"

"I'm afraid to."

"Why, sweetheart?"

"I just am. I know where I want to go, where I've always wanted to go, and I'm afraid."

"They'll have accepted you. I'm sure of it. You have to open the letters."

"Can you be with me when I do?"

He nodded, moving his lips now to the tips of my fingers. I had a mind of where I wanted them next, but I never dared to ask.

"I have them with me. Maybe we can open them after coffee."
___________
Hey! Posted this little filler chapter today because I thought it was too short to post on its own, days from now, so the next longer more eventful one will be up sometime this week 💖