Chapter 31 - Resolve

I refused to see anyone that weekend. I didn't want to see my brothers. I asked Phoenix to give me some time. I needed to recuperate on my own, and it was only on that Sunday night that I slipped into my coat and asked Bran to go with me on a walk. We had remained silent for most of it, until he couldn't anymore and asked me how was I doing, what he could do, or what I needed. I reassured him as strongly as I could that I truly was much better, and needed only to return to the sense of normalcy I hadn't felt in such a long time.

I was feeling more myself come Monday morning, and I didn't judge it necessary to miss school. I just hoped with all my might that no one would get word of what had happened, granting me peace and serenity for the little that was left of my senior year. I made it my personal mission to cover my purple cheek and bruised lip with makeup and a deeper lipstick, so no one would see.

The last period of the day rolled around that Monday, and it came as a punch to my gut to find a substitute teacher occupying his desk. Then came Tuesday, and the same sensation hit me even harder when he wasn't there. On Wednesday I was certain I would find him leaning against his desk, only to be let down again. I didn't bother removing the 'tutoring cancelled' sign I had taped to his door when class was dismissed, thinking it a waste to tear it apart only to have to make a new one come tomorrow.

Deep-rooted panic started to lodge itself in my belly, but I wasn't fooling myself, I had been worried ever since that first day. It was only now taking over my system. I called him, just to hear him say that he was fine, had gone off on some emergency as he had every right to do. The call went straight to voicemail.

I went through the same vicious cycle over the remaining two days of the week, but I informed my brothers that Friday morning that I would be using the car after school. Chad tried offering to drive me wherever I needed, thinking I would prefer the company, but I still wasn't able to bring myself to talk to him, regardless of how hard he was trying. I needed time.

I picked up the phone again, but I didn't call Mr. Gallagher this time. I called his mother, giving it no ounce of hesitation. I was past giving a damn.

"Hanna, hi. How are you?" I greeted.

She sighed. "I'm okay, Cece. How about you?"

"Good, good. I need your help."

"Is it about my son?"

"Yes."

She let out an audible sound of relief. "Thank god. I was hoping you could give me some insight on him. What happened to him? Do you know? He just up and called me on Sunday night and told me he'd be taking the week off and heading to the cabin alone. He's only ever done that when something has really gotten under his skin, but he didn't give me any details."

"I'm afraid I can't give you any myself. I don't know what's wrong. I'm worried sick. I haven't seen him at all this week, since he hasn't come into work, and I thought maybe there had been a family emergency or something. Hanna, every time I call it goes straight to voicemail."

"Oh, honey. That cabin has the worst service."

"How do I get there?"

"Well, it's about an hour drive from here. It's not that it's a difficult drive so much as it's a long one, and winter days get so short. If you go you need to make sure you head out now, so you have plenty of daylight. I can send you a text message with the address. The most important thing you remember is that when the GPS starts saying you've arrived, and you're confused out of your mind, you just make a right into a clearing off the road. You'll find it there. It's a pretty cabin. Belongs to his uncle, my brother. They use it time to time."