Chapter 34 - Midnight Purple

I peeked out from beneath the long, wispy lashes Phoenix had miraculously placed on my eyes and watched as she placed a set on herself.

I was still blinking maniacally from the two novelties my eyes were sporting, false lashes and contact lenses. I didn't refrain from packing my glasses in the small purse I was taking with me to prom.

As I waited for her to finish, I surveyed my face and hair. I didn't deviate from my usual look for a night out, turning to Hollywood portraits to gain some inspiration. Tonight it was Hedy Lamar, and my skin was blurred by foundation and powder, and contoured ever so slightly. I had warmed my complexion with a rose blusher, but the standing points of my face were the sharp black wings I made of eyeliner and the vibrant plum of my lips. I had slept in a braid and curled my hair for extra effect, styling the waves over one shoulder.

"Done. How do I look?"

"Regal. Glamorous. Like a dream."

She laughed, doing a happy dance as she reached over and produced our dresses, which were spread out over my bed. "And now for the best part."

We helped each other into our dresses, careful not to mess up the hair or makeup we had worked so hard on. My best friend looked like a Barbie doll with her blonde waves and fuchsia dress, a mermaid silhouette which billowed out in glittering waves over the ground.

My dress was darker, a shade of midnight purple I always adored and knew at once was the dress I wanted for myself. The neckline was a modest sweetheart, but it draped off my shoulders daringly. The fabric, beaded subtly throughout, clung gently to my curves and down to the floor in a modest train of tulle.

We finished off with a few subtle accessories, hers in gold and mine in silver, and donned our shoes. I still wore the same reliable black pumps I loved so much, worn in for comfort but taken as much care of as I could.

I looked again in the mirror, and ran my fingers silently over the beads. A knock sounded at the door, breaking me away from my trance.

"It's probably Riley and the rest of them."

She turned to the mirror and studied her face before looking back at me.

"You should go check while I finish up," she winked.

I left the bathroom and walked to the front door. Opening it left me speechless, unable to move for a good minute. The same could be said for him.

Jamie's eyes were glued to me, sweeping over my dress and to my face, dwelling on every feature. He moved closer, pressing his lips to my cheek.

"Beautiful doesn't cut it. Stunning might."

"I didn't expect to see you tonight," I whispered.

"I couldn't let that happen."

"I'm so happy you're here."

"It's cruel, really," he grinned in that way that always stole my composure. "Having to leave you like this."

"I'm sorry," I smiled. "Very sorry."

"I'm not. I want you to have fun, and above everything to be safe. I'm a phone call away. I'll see you tomorrow if you'd like."

"I'd like that very much."

"I brought you something. I won't be with you tonight but I wanted you to have something, anything, to remember me by," he chuckled softly. "Years down the line you might think of your prom and how you couldn't even bring your date, but maybe this flower can place me somewhere in that memory."

I had no idea why there were tears forming at my eyes. "Don't make me cry. I'll ruin my makeup," I laughed. He laughed with me, dotting away at the little dot of my moisture beside my eyes. He pressed his lips to my hair, his hand brushing over mine.