Chapter 22 - Eighteen Candles

The remainder of October went by in relative quiet. I was busy with tutoring and the book club, my studies and homework assignments, and the start of my application process for college. I rushed to perfect and finish my early decision application to Harvard's English program, due on the first of November, just days before my birthday. Luckily Mr. Gallagher had been there help me, reading my essays and giving me pointers, writing me the recommendation letter he had promised. He said he wasn't finished, and would the same as I continued to apply for regular admission to Boston University, Cornell, and Yale.

I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when I submitted the application for Harvard, the school I had wanted ever since I could remember my mother encouraging me to reach for the highest stars.

Another birthday would come around tomorrow, and again she and my father wouldn't be there. Tears started to well in my eyes, but just as easily I brushed them off and turned my copy of Little Women to the page I had bookmarked the night before.

Sleep came slowly, but deeply enough that I left the book on the mattress beside me and met with complete darkness.
•••

Bran had left to work before I had woken, but he left me a perfect heap of French toast and a gift bag with a lovely leather satchel I had wanted for ages. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, falling immediately in love with the item.

At school Phoenix had showered me with gifts of her own. Blue balloons in the shape of an 18, a raspberry cupcake with a candle, and some beautiful makeup I had never thought of owning but definitely would have wanted. They were in soft tones of browns and pinks, wearable and delicate.

Riley had brought me a giant serving of coffee in a pretty travel mug sporting a Scorpio's symbol, while the girls from the book club gifted me a lovely handcrafted journal they all pitched in to purchase.

I was very grateful to have them spend time and effort on me, and unreasonably surprised. Of course they would do this for me; they were my family and closest friends, and it was my birthday, but my brain was hardwired rather defectively.

Nonetheless I was happy, the emotion compounded by the fact that I had made it to my last period and hadn't had a single run-in with Dean. His crew was too busy celebrating my brother.

I opened the door and entered the classroom, which was unsurprisingly empty, since most students liked to wait until just before the bell before relinquishing their freedom of the halls. My teacher looked up from where had been placing some books into the shelves beside his desk.

His eyes went to the gift bags I held and the small balloon numbers that I kept from floating into the ceiling with a controlled grip.

"Well. It's your birthday."

"Yes," I smiled at him.

"I didn't know." By the tone of his voice he seemed disturbed.

"No, I guess I forgot to mention it. It's no big deal," I waved it off, finally moving toward my seat. I tied the balloons around the gift bag's handle and set them on the floor beside the wall, then proceeded to bring out my novel and notebook.

"It is, Cece. Happy eighteenth birthday."

It happened again when I looked up. Without any action from his part, and much failed resistance from mine, he held my eyes and captivated me, only giving me my mind back when the first rush of students came walking in.

I let out an audible breath of relief.

"Thank you."

•••