03. Enjolras

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

cracking marble
act one, autumn
chapter three, enjolras

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

(       septembre , 1831      )

( septembre , 1831 )

         HER EYES MET HIS in a fast collision; a stormy blue against warm hazel. Everything seemed to freeze around her; and, just like the dream, he was the only she could see clearly. As if all around had turned to dark and he was the light; he demanded her attention.

        In her fury, Mathilde had failed to notice that this man had been seated at the same table as Combeferre, and now had risen from his seat, holding the grey cap — that once sat upon her head — delicately in his hands.

         His cool gaze surveyed her and his stern expression softened slightly, yet there wasn't the slightest glimmer of recognition in his gaze. Mathilde felt her heart sink at the prospect.

         "What's going on, Combeferre?" The man turned slightly to her brother who stood close behind her, having strode into the middle of the room while conversing with her.

        "Gavroche invited my little sister to our meeting. My other little sister." Combeferre clarified to the man, surmising the explanation in a few short sentences.

        "Ferre." Mathilde found herself scoffing, nudging her brother lightly in the side. "I'm nearly twenty-one."

        Her addition to the conversation was in no more than whisper and hardly acknowledge by the stern man opposite them, who had once again summoned Mathilde's gaze to him. Her hazel eyes narrowed as she looked him over, the girl quickly concluded that he must have been the leader of whatever association they were part of. It was undeniable; there was just something in the way he held himself that told her he was the one to call the shots.