04. Patria

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

cracking marble
act one, autumn
chapter four, patria

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

(       septembre , 1831      )

( septembre , 1831 )

"AND WHO MIGHT THIS BE?"

As the group descended the stairs from the meeting room, the voice of the rosy woman Mathilde had first spoken to upon entering the café called out.

"An imposter?" She mused, earning a light chuckle from Mathilde at her words.

"Something of the sort." Courfeyrac replied, walking past the blonde girl towards a table in the  now deserted café.

"Oh, hush!" Mathilde said, swatting him away, looking back at the lady with a shy smile. "I'm Mathilde."

"My sister, Madame!" Combeferre clarified from the table, where some of the men had decided to retire.

Most of them had left the café, however a small group made up of Combeferre, the children, Joly, Grantaire, Courf and Enjolras remained, sitting at the table just behind Mathilde.

"Oh, your sister?" She smirked, with a playful glint in her eye. "Who knew Combeferre could have such a beautiful sister?"

"Shocked us all." Grantaire heckled from his chair, where he was still nursing his bottle of alcohol.

Combeferre made to rebuke Grantaire's comment, the blonde tried her best to contain her chuckle out of pride, as she had not — if it wasn't obvious — been particularly taken with Grantaire.