07. Love Can Conquer All

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

cracking marble
act two, winter
chapter seven, love can conquer all

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

(       novembre , 1831      )

        THE NIGHT PASSED in a dreamless sleep, before it was rudely pierced by the morning light. Mathilde found herself letting out a gasp as the daylight tore mercilessly through her tranquil room and she awoke with a start.

         "It's about time you were awake." Her mama muttered, with spite in her tone, from her place at the curtains.

        And just with a few words, any light that had entered the room from the open curtains was immediately oppressed by the dark presence of her mother.

        "Sleeping too heavily is very unladylike, Mathilde." She sighed, as though her daughter's presence had punched her in the stomach.

        "I can't help that." The blonde murmured, sitting up in her bed, giving a quiet yawn as she squinted her eyes trying to adjust to the light.

        "What was that?" The woman replied, bluntly, tucking the curtains away.

         "Nothing, Mama." Mathilde replied, lacing her tone a feigned note of happiness.

        The blonde reached a hand to face, as she gazed around her room and was unsurprised that it — and not to mention the rest of the house — sounded as empty as always.

        "Where are Combeferre and Amélie?" She asked, immediately detecting the absence of her siblings.

        "Combeferre is at work," Her mama explained as though the answer was glaringly obvious. "And Amélie is reading at the library with Professor Braun and the Roche children."