00. Eight Years Earlier

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

cracking marble
prologue, eighteen twenty three
prologue, eight years earlier

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

(       decembre , 1823      )

( decembre , 1823 )

A COLD WINTER HAD hit the city of Paris in 1823, the chill struck each and every person to the bone. The unfortunate on the streets shook and trembled as a result of the vicious wind and her cold bite.

The winter, however, seemed more tranquil in the woods surrounding the edges of the city; white blankets of snow wrapped up every tree in a tight embrace. Snowflakes danced through the air as they slowly sank to the powdery forest floor.

A small girl - no more than twelve - edged her way throughout the maze of plant life; her small shawl failed to keep out the chill, her shoes wet through from the fallen snow. The cold stung her rosy face, as her fingertips began to turn blue, all the while a ghost of a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

"Ferre?" She let out a small cry. The cold stinging her throat; the volume of her voice losing out to the howls of the wind. "Combeferre?" She tried again, her tired voice shaking as she cried out for her older brother.

Taking a few more small steps forward, she peaked around another tree, as fresh snowflakes caught in the long curls of her hair.

The fresh snow would have covered her footprints and that of her brother, this clearing looked familiar? Or didn't it? The child gave a small hmph, wrapping her arms more tightly around herself. This child was stubborn; she was going to find him, no matter what.

"I'm tired of hiding now!" She whined, her voice finally reaching full volume, as it echoed throughout the vast landscape in front of her. "Combeferre!?" She yelled, impatiently, a pout forming on her small blue lips.