01. Dreamed a Dream

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

cracking marble
act one, autumn
chapter one, dreamed a dream

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

(       septembre , 1831      )

         THE ATMOSPHERE was electric, yells of victory engulfed the quarter. There was nothing familiar about it, the cobbled streets and lopsided buildings meant nothing to her.

          It was early morning from what she could tell, however, a large structure of splintered planks of wood and chairs piled up high blocked most of the light from the rising sun.

        A barricade; a large red flag dancing elegantly in the breeze atop of it.

         Young men running around the quarter as people, children and wives, cheered from the windows of the neighbouring houses that looked as though the slightest wind could knock them over. The euphoria was contagious; yet whatever it was they were celebrating was unknown to her.

         Her eyes narrowed in attempt to get a good look at each man but their appearances were blurry and unclear, that was until her gaze landed on one man.

         There was nothing unclear about him; he was sure and certain.

         Flawless as a statue, golden curls framed his chiselled porcelain face, eyes as blue as the ocean and as cold as a winter frost. But somewhere within those cool orbs; she found warmth. She was captivated.

         A red jacket was hanging loosely from his tall muscular frame, he was shaking hands left, right and centre, a small smile evident on his face. He was a hero.

         His cool gaze met hers and something inside her - some sort of instinct - urged her to look away in fear of being caught staring at him. But it didn't move, not even as this hero moved his way through the crowd toward her.