05. Little Town

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

cracking marble
act two, winter
chapter five, little town

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

(       novembre , 1831      )

( novembre , 1831 )

THE PATRIA INCIDENT did turn out rather humorously, or Mathilde at least had thought so upon witnessing the reaction of the boys once Ferre had broken the news the following day.

         "Fatherland?! Boy, am I fool! I daresay I'm lost for words—!"

         "Courfeyrac, please get off the floor!"

Even so, upon her reflection of the incident, she had come to the conclusion that her favourite reaction was earned by Grantaire, who simply gave a groan before smashing his head onto the tabletop.

The bruise that had resulted had lasted for around five days, despite Joly thinking it was a sign of cholera from all the wine he was drinking at the Musain — that had successfully earned him a slap from Madame Houcheloupe.

Enjolras, however, was nonchalant. He claimed that he had never said anything that suggested Patria was anything other than the fatherland.

But from the split second when Combeferre announced it was his younger sister's intellect that sought him out and his porcelain lips curved into a ghost of a smile; Mathilde could see that once again — no matter how much he would deny he was so — he had been impressed by her.

Her presence at the meetings had certainly made an impact; something the young woman reckoned that he had not preempted.

But, as time ran on, part of the blonde began to believe that maybe he didn't mind her presence as much he once thought he would; that perhaps he liked her showing up. Just as she liked seeing and talking to him everyday.