Gualin

My chest felt like fire as I inhaled too deeply, and immediately was followed by a throaty cough. My sister and her best friend laughed quietly as not to wake the neighbours, and more importantly my mother.

We three sat in a circle at the end of the garden passing round our homemade bong and laughing. Mainly at me who was only 15 and was experiencing it for the first time. We giggled as I blew smoke from my mouth and groaned in delight at the lightweight feeling that oversaw me.

"shhhhh y/n be quiet." my sister giggled.
"sorry."

We all froze as we saw next doors outdoor light turn on, we went silent and waited just in case someone was out there. But a couple seconds later it turned off again and we decided to retreat inside before we woke up anyone else.

-

The next morning I had to stumble to school, my hair a mess and my uniform barely dressing me properly. My sister and her friend were older so didn't have to go to school but I was forced to and grumpily stepped onto the street.

"morning y/n." My neighbour Gualin smirked as he locked his front door. "late night?"
"shut up and unlock your car already I need a ride today."
The headlights flashed and I got in the passenger seat, instantly closing my eyes.

"I heard you last night."
"Cool, now drive so I can sleep more."
"Didn't know you smoked weed!"
"Well I do now."

He laughed and turned on the blowers to warm me up.

"Can we skip today... please." I begged.
"I can't, I promised Jisung to help him out with his project."
"Please, I feel like death and I'm better company than Jisung anyway!"
He pondered over if for a second.
"Okay, fine. Where'd you wanna go."
"The beach, but I need food first."

He pulled off the normal route to school and onto the highway, I tilted my seat back and closed my eyes. Listening to the gentle hums of Gualin as he created a tune. I must've fallen asleep because when I woke up I was alone at the gas station.

"Your awake!" Gualin said getting back in with a plastic bag. "Here, take what you want."
I grabbed a packet of  chips and began eating, every now and then putting one in Gualins mouth as he carried on driving.

-

Once we made it to the beach, I was feeling better. But didn't feel like doing anything else but relaxing. So I got into the open boot and laid back down, looking up at the sky and listening to the gentle music from the radio. Gualin sat next to me and looked out to the sea, the beach was empty but he still parked up in a corner near the caves and rocks.
I felt his stroke my head a little.
"You feeling okay? You look pale." He asked. I sat up to face him better, my head stung and I hissed grabbing it with my hands.

The boy held me upright. I could barely open my eyes it hurt to see the harsh light of day. Then I didn't open my eyes at all. My body went limp and slumped to the side. Gualin pulled me up against his, trying his best to shake me away again. I could hear the panic in his voice when I came round a little.

"Y/n! Y/n! Please wake up!"
I groaned, still leaning against him for support. He sighed, resting his head on top of mine with relief.
"Thank god " he mumbled. "Here" he took of his jacket and slowly put it on me.

I nuzzled into his side, taking gulping breaths and wrapping myself deeper into his jacket as the wind caught up.

"I wasn't dead." I finally spoke up.
"I know." He replied, putting an arm around me so I could get closer. I didn't care if he was making a move, he was warm and being with Gualin was comforting.
"I was worried." He said.
"I know."

-

We both fell asleep in his boot. His arms holding me tight and me close so that I'd stay warm. When I woke up he kissed my forehead.
"You look adorable you know that?" I blushed looking away. "Look at me... I like that."
"What?"
"You, in my clothes. It's like you're my girlfriend." I smiled and buried my head into his neck again. "I like that idea too!" He said before kissing me.

He meant it. His hands holding the back of my head, I held onto his arms. Shocked at first but relaxing as he softening his lips against mine. It felt right, like no one else had before. Something about kissing Gualin felt natural to me. And it would not be the last time, he made sure.