Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Edward Scissorhands

Directed by: Time Burton

Genre/s: Fantasy, drama

This movie is about follows the character, Edward Scissorhands (Jonney Depp) who has spent his whole life alone. Then one day, everything changes. Peg (Dianne Wiest) comes knocking on the door of the mansion and takes him in. Edward learns what life is like with proper humans, and comes to like them. But not everyone is as caring as Peg, and things start to take a turn for the worst...

I don't know if it's because I had to watch this film for school, but I found it incredibly boring. The movie is fine, good pacing, characters etc., but something about this movie just seemed... boring. Really, the only part I liked was the part we used in our test. Looking at reviews on sites like IMDb, praising it because it's "such a good film", I really don't see it. Anyway, let's look into it a bit more.

The main character, Edward Scissorhands, is a robot-human thing. His inventor died before he got hands, but here's the thing: Why was Edward given scissors for hands in the first place? It doesn't make it easier to put on "real" hands, and as shown later in the film, AKA the part I liked, it's not that useful. Anyway, Edward, I feel, doesn't have many lines, and his voice is too soft. According to my English teacher, that's intentional. Anyway, Edward has a talent in sculpting, as he shapes the townspeople's hedges. He also can cut ice, because that makes perfect sense. 

Other characters include Peg, the mother and person who brings Edward down the mountain. Peg is actually a good character. She first appears trying to sell cosmetics to others, who turn her away. She helps Edward with normal, human things, like putting on clothes, eating food from a plate, etc. Overall, Peg is a good character.

Kim is Peg's daughter, who has the most normal reaction to first seeing Edward. At first, she's a bit weary of him but then comes to appreciate Edward. Kim was also a good character.

Jim is, I guess, the main "villain". Previously Kim's boyfriend, until she breaks up with him. All we see of Jim is him being a jerk. Nothing makes us feel sorry for him when he dies. Whoops, spoiler warning.

(Actually, I like every character, but Edward. He's just too boring.)

Moving on, the pacing and overall story. The pacing of this film is fine. Really, it is. The overall story, wait. What was it again? A guy comes from living alone, learns about human life, kills someone and runs away and lives all by himself? Eh, could be better. 

The music is good. I liked the music. 

Now, I shall transform into CinemaSins, and give you every plot hole, cliche and plot convenience I can think of!: 

- Despite living in the same town for years (or her whole life), Peg only notices the scary looking mansion on the top of the hill, WHEN SHE IS AN ADULT, PROBABLY 30. 

- Peg walks into the mansion and isn't creeped out, AT ALL.

- Peg doesn't run away screaming when she sees Edward.

- Edward can cut ice, despite there being no ice or lakes, nearby. Where did he get the ice from?

- Scissors can apparently cut ice. Makes sense. Not.

-  The daughter developed (romantic) feelings for Edward. CAN WE HAVE ONE MOVIE, JUST ONE MOVIE, WHERE THE MAIN CHARACTERS DON'T FALL IN LOVE. 

- The ex-lover tries to get rid of the current boyfriend. 

- Why did the inventor give Edward scissors for hands?

And that is all I can think of.

TL;DR

Characters: 8/10

Plot: 2/10

Pacing: 9/10

Music: 9/10

Overall: 6/10. This movie is alright, I just didn't feel anything. Personally, I think it would've worked better as a horror movie.