My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)

Directed by: Jayson Thiessen 

Genre/s: Fantasy/Drama

Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity embark on an epic journey to save Ponyville from a dark force.  

(^ That is the worst movie description I have ever seen, so, read the one below)

An event in Equestria, the Festival of Friendship, is well underway, and everything is going fine. It is soon interrupted by the Storm King's army, and leads our heroes, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity into an epic adventure, taking them across the land. There will be many obstacles in the way and new challenges to face. Will they be able to save their homeland in time?

(That better?)

I only just got home after seeing this movie (for some reason, they decided to release it late in NZ, even though around the 6th of October was the school holidays), and man, this movie was great!

Quick thoughts on the Mane 6: None of them were that OOC, thankfully. Although Pinkie did seem to smile A LOT more than usual.

As for the other characters, the only character I wish we got to see more of was Queen Novo, because, after Capper, she was my favourite new character. 

I do regret listening to the songs before the movie, however, the songs were great. Some of the songs that are on YouTube weren't used, and only three of the pop songs were used (once at the beginning, Sia's song and the trailer song in the credits), which I find a bit odd (if you know the reason, could you please tell me in the comments?). The visuals in Capper's song was so entertaining and reminded me of old Disney movies (even though I haven't watched many Disney movies).

When the first trailer dropped (NOT the teaser), I could already tell that the animation was going to be amazing. It was quite smooth, considering the animators wouldn't have much experience with the software (apparently it was the show animators who use Flash, in case you were wondering). Personally, I think the 3D and 2D merged well, although some people might think otherwise. Sometimes it felt as though they were moving to slow on land, but underwater it was quite fast.

Personally, I didn't laugh, laugh, but smiled a few times. There were a couple of times throughout the movie where I thought "I wonder what CinemaSins will think" (of which, I am personally looking forward to). The plot was good, and while it could be a 2-parter/premier/finale for the show, I think it was good enough for the movie.

Something I've noticed when reading reviews is that the pacing wasn't that great. That is true because it was like "Here's a new location!" "Oh, sorry! Moving on!".

And the villains. I still can't get over the fact that they ki- sorry, almost forgot that this is spoiler-free. Tempest's backstory is probably the best way I have ever seen a backstory told that isn't exposition dump in a flashback. Oh, if anyone can contact Disney, please tell them to bring back their amazing villains, and villain songs. 

TL;DR: 

Characters: 9/10

Plot: 8.5/10

Animation: 10/10

Music: 10/10

Overall: 8/10. I'm trying to imagine what a non-fan would rate it, and think a 6-7/10