Over The Rainbow

Towards the end of the movie, Frank reaches over and holds one of my fingers in his own. I made no move to stop him, because, after all, this would be the last night I would be able to touch him. I smiled at his childish nature. I wanted to move so we could fully hold hands, but I know he wouldn't like that. As the movie ends, I realize that this was the first time in six years that I hadn't sang to the movie. Maybe I wasn't in the mood to sing because I wasn't happy with this situation. How was I supposed to be when Frankie wasn't going to be attending the school anymore? He wasn't going to be my student. I wasn't going to be able to see him in the halls throughout the day or slowly eating his lunch in the cafeteria. This was really it. He was going to switch to a different school and graduate with strangers with no family there to congratulate him after he crosses the stage. I quickly moved my hand to my face to wipe away the tear beginning to fall. It was heartbreaking to imagine Frankie walking away alone after graduation to an empty house, but I couldn't do anything about it.

I stood up after the movie ended and Frank walked me to the door. I stood in front of his door, looking at him. We stayed staring at each other for what seemed like years, but was truly only a few seconds. He smiled at me, and it was only then that I saw the tears in his eyes.

He cares.

He slowly shut the door, a tear escaping just before I couldn't see him any longer. I raised my hand on to knock on the door, but found that I couldn't. Instead, I rest my hand again it, flat. I heard a small sob from the other side, and my heart broke as my own tears escaped from my eyes. I slowly turned away and descended the stairs, making my way back to my car. I sat there in the driver's seat with my head against the steering wheel, trying to stop the sobs from getting out. I was trying to make sense of everything when I heard a tap on my window. I jumped in surprise and let out a breath of relief at seeing it was a human and not some type of creature or...maybe ghost. I wouldn't be surprised since my phone is haunted. I rolled down the window and looked up at who I realized was a police officer.

"Yes, officer?" I asked, suddenly nervous.

"Sir, you're parked in a handicapped spot. I'm going to have to ask you to leave," he explained.

"I am? I didn't even see the symbol on the spot. Sorry about that. I was leaving anyways." He smiled and bid me a goodnight. I waved at him as I pulled out the parking lot and drove away. I silently thanked the officer in my head, because if he hadn't told me to leave, I probably wouldn't have left and instead would have gone back to Frankie. It's not that I didn't want to, but that he wouldn't. As I made my way back home, I turned on my stereo and put in my Beatles CD. The first song was Let It Be and I wanted to flip my car, so I shut it off for the rest of the drive. My phone vibrated as I got out of the car. It was a call from Ray.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Mr. Way, wanna hang out for a bit?" I almost wanted to sigh.

"You know I hate when you call me that!" I whined. He chuckled and I felt myself smile.

"So is that a no?"

"No, let's spend some time together," I said. I needed to get my mind off if Frankie, but now that I think about it... this was his ex. I almost facepalmed.

"I'll head over there right now. Be there in, like, ten," he said and bid me a bye.

"No, it's dark out. Let me pick you up."

"My, my. You're such a gentlemen. Okay, I'm at the park near the school. I'll be waiting for you," he said. We said our goodbyes and I got back in my car. I stared off into space and, before I knew it, I was at the park. I saw Ray walking over here so I got out of my car and walked around the other side to open the door for him. He chuckled as he got in, but I didn't miss the dust of light pink across his cheeks. I smirked and nearly celebrated that victory. I'd never gotten him to blush before and I definitely wasn't complaining. As I got in the car and buckled up, I reached over and held Ray's hand as I drove back to my place. His hand was big and warm and it felt nice, but then I suddenly felt guilty. Frank was all alone and here I was with his ex, holding hands. I sighed.