Chapter 2: Dream (Pt 1/1)

I lie in a field of red flowery plants that cover the ground like a carpet. I stand up, wondering how I got here. I look around and I realize that I'm in my wolf form. My fur is white and gray, nothing too special. I feel a wave of danger settle over me. I turn to see a wolf barreling straight at me. With obvious intentions to kill. So, I decide that it would be best to run like hell! And that I shall. I speed off in the other direction to try and get as far away from that wolf as freaking possible. Because I don't feel like becoming chopped liver.

Suddenly I feel teeth sink into my neck, tearing at my skin. Time seems to slow, seconds feel like minutes. I gasp for air, but my lungs do nothing. I feel the life draining out of me as I slowly collapse on the ground. Its teeth sink deeper into my flesh. My body aches from the lack of air. I begin to feel cold, I lose feeling in my limbs. My vision blurs and the last thing I hear is the sound of bones snapping.

I scream, swinging up into a sitting position. Suddenly I realize it was just a dream, and I relax.

"Ryder!" Mist bursts through my door and is at my bedside before I can even blink. "Are you okay?" she asks, concern laced in her voice.

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure? I heard you scream, what happened?"

"It's nothing, it was just a dream." I massage my head.

"You sure you're okay? Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really. Can I please just go back to bed?"

"Yeah, sorry. I just... I just wanted to make sure you were okay." She stands up and looks away.

Dammit, I hurt her feelings, didn't I? "Mist, it's okay. I'm just tired and would like to go back to sleep."

"Okay." She hugs me and leaves, shutting the door behind her.

I lie back down. Thoughts about my dream keep me from sleeping. I just lie in my bed and stare at the ceiling, hoping I will fall asleep soon.

***

I groggily walk down the steps and into the kitchen. I didn't get any sleep after the dream I had. I couldn't stop thinking about it no matter what I did to try to get it off my mind. I feel like the dream was telling me something. Hopefully not my death, that would suck, a lot.

"Hey, sleepy head," Mist says.

I look up and see her sitting at the island with a bowl of what I assume is cereal. "Hi," I say, rubbing my tired eyes.

"You look tired," she adds.

"No shit, Sherlock," I grumble.

"You don't have to be so mean." She pouts.

I glance over at her from the fridge. I see the same expression I saw on her face last night. I go over to her. "Mist, I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. I-I just get crabby when I'm tired. I didn't mean to hurt you." Dammit, I did it again. I hate myself.

"It's fine." She pokes at her food, like she no longer wants it.

No longer hungry, I go to the living room and just sit. I'm really blowing it. Like I always do. No wonder so many people sent me back. I'm a jackass.

"Ryder?" Mist's voice says, barely a whisper from behind me. She walks around and sits next to me. "Can I talk to you about something?" she asks.

"Uh, yeah." Mist distracts me from my thoughts.

"Well, uh, it has to do with, uh, something at school." A tear runs down her face.

"Is there someone hurting you?" I ask.

She looks back down, takes a deep breath, and closes her eyes. I massage her arm, trying to calm her down.

"This kid at school, h-he teases me, calls me names. It didn't use to bother me. But last spring, it went from bad to worse. I was on my way to class. I was running late and was in the hallway alone—well, I thought I was alone. I felt someone grab my arm. When I turned to see who it was, it was him. He pushed me against the lockers. He..." She pauses to catch her breath, to calm down.

"Hey, it's okay. Take your time." I run my fingers through her long brown hair.

She starts again. "He was trying to sexually assault me. I screamed for him to stop, but he wouldn't. He was too strong for me to push him away. He started for my pants, then I heard a teacher yell. The teacher got him away from me eventually. That's why I wanted a brother. I wanted one of those big brothers you see on TV that always keep their little sister safe and are always there. He got expelled, and I think they put him in counseling or something. I just found out that they are letting him come back when the new semester starts, and I'm scared."

She starts to look up at me, but I pull her into a tight hug. Anger and emotion rush through me and I know my eyes are glowing. I can't let her see that. Not yet.